Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
Duke McCall

QUOTE]Get a chainsaw. Cut down large trees (get permission first). Cut the log up into smaller parts. Carry them--Zercher, shoulder, overhead, etc.--and throw them into a truck or onto a trailer.[/quote]

My favorite core work, although I also add in unloading the trailer and, in the winter, hauling the wood inside to build a fire.
Duke McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
Grissim Connery

i like FL and BL as well.

if you have coach sommer's book, he has a nice section on straight body work. one of these exercises is called simply "body levers." basically you get into a candlestick pose or plough pose but with your feet pointing straight up into the air. you should grab a squat rack or a pole or something with your hands up behind your head. now lower your legs to the floor in a negative fashion, keep the straight body position, and raise the back up. i looks like you're descending into a front lever and then pulling back up to inversion. by doing it on the floor, you can take out the arm focus and work on your core control more. you should make it hard enough that you can get about 5. if it's too hard pull your legs in when you ascend, or straddle or whatever. if it's too easy, strap a little weight to your ankles. just maintain the straight body no matter what you pick

obviously you should try a lot of different compound moves to strengthen the core. i just find that if i had to pick one exercise that i knew would make my midsection hurt the next day, this would be it.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke McCall View Post
My favorite core work, although I also add in unloading the trailer and, in the winter, hauling the wood inside to build a fire.
Splitting mesquite to smoke brisket is also an acceptable answer.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 04-21-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #24
Brandon Oto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
i like FL and BL as well.

if you have coach sommer's book, he has a nice section on straight body work. one of these exercises is called simply "body levers." basically you get into a candlestick pose or plough pose but with your feet pointing straight up into the air. you should grab a squat rack or a pole or something with your hands up behind your head. now lower your legs to the floor in a negative fashion, keep the straight body position, and raise the back up. i looks like you're descending into a front lever and then pulling back up to inversion. by doing it on the floor, you can take out the arm focus and work on your core control more. you should make it hard enough that you can get about 5. if it's too hard pull your legs in when you ascend, or straddle or whatever. if it's too easy, strap a little weight to your ankles. just maintain the straight body no matter what you pick

obviously you should try a lot of different compound moves to strengthen the core. i just find that if i had to pick one exercise that i knew would make my midsection hurt the next day, this would be it.
AKA dragon flags. You can do these on the end of a bench. Wicked, wicked DOMS are possible from these negatives, so beware.

It always seemed to me that if you could hold a dragon flag at horizontal with only your scapulae supported, you have the core strength for a front lever. (Shoulder strength is another matter.)
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #25
Dave Van Skike

made up a new one last night.

KB rows with the KB choked to the floor with quad mini JS bands. try to hold the KB at lockout briefly. minis add about 120 pounds to the top so use momentum. Insane abdominal, serratus and lat tightness will ensue.......
Old 04-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #26
Peter Dell'Orto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
made up a new one last night.

KB rows with the KB choked to the floor with quad mini JS bands. try to hold the KB at lockout briefly. minis add about 120 pounds to the top so use momentum. Insane abdominal, serratus and lat tightness will ensue.......
Sounds a lot like KB band curls from Jedd from Diesel Crew in terms of effect.

http://kettlebellresources.blogspot....with-band.html

You should video yours and post it.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #27
Matthieu Hertilus

If you don't mind a little self-promotion. I wrote a new article about core training if anyone is interested.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...s_bigger_lifts
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #28
Derek Weaver

That was a good article Matthieu. I like the modified renegade row. I'll have to find a time/way to fit tha tone in.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #29
Allen Yeh

Nice article.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #30
Torsten Hauptmann

i think that for "core" training exist three often overlooked keypoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
what derek describes is well taken (not just becuase he's a complimentary bloke[)] figure out if and where there's a weakness and address it
i.e. if you feel you need to "learn" how to tighten up your mid section. the instruction for overhead work"take a deep breath and hold it" did not improve my strength it only made me aware that i need to get strength in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
that one is often overlooked. as core training is not that easily adjustable, i.e. you can not add weight on a lot of exercises mostly you have to progress to harder versions but it is not that easy as simpy adding weight to a barbell. f.e. FL and BL progressions seem to be linear but extending/straddle the legs a litte bit more/less makes a big difference and this "litte bit" is hard to get.
therefore it is hard to stick precisly to a low to mid volume training thus maintaine progress. that means you can not programm your core routine as easy as your normal strength routine. just going to failure is not right and even that is not that easy on most core strength exercises often you fail for a different reason or you fail that hard that you did not do the exercise at all (not lower but drop through a full FL on a negative). so you need to know that it can make you midsection hurt the next day

do both dynamic (curling) and static exercises (straight body) as they suplement each other.

and here is my top pick (at least) for now:
band resisted ab wheel.
i came across this from the diesel crew core strength book. simply add a band or two to your wheel that it gets pulled away from you. doing so improves the wheel a lot:
the wheel without a band offers a hard static component and a lighter dynamic component which do not balance each other and it is hard to progress to the full roll out because only in the last inches sits the real resistance you are looking for. with a band you can adjust the resistance very precisly. when you roll from your knees you can stay with the normal resistance on the static part and add a short strong band (or take one twice) which will resist only when curling back or you can make the hole rollout harder, i.e. a longer band always under tension. and then you can still adjust the length you roll....

PS: nice article matthieu but regards the TGU: i think it is much more usefull when you do the TGU till the side plank, i.e. when you lift you but before you pull your leg through.
and i prefer rather harder hole-core-exercises maybe one or two on a session than longish core circles
Torsten Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote