Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Warren Rupaprt

Default Chronic hip pain

Hello, folks!

I'm new to this forum, but it looks like a good place to seek advice on a chronic issue I'm experiencing in my training.

About 9 months ago while doing a CF WOD involving back squats, I somehow managed to mess up...or at least bring to the surface... something in my right hip. At first (like the night after the WOD) I had very sharp pain in the front of my hip (feels like right in the hip joint or just in front of it) when trying to walk up stairs. This subsided somewhat in the following days, but never went away completely. As different CF WODs would come up, it would occasionally flare up again, causing me pain while squating, running, etc..

Since the first of the year, I've tried to focus on improving my leg strength through squating/deadlifting etc. Initially, I was hoping to work past this chronic issue by strengthening everything in my lower body. However, all I managed to do was keep aggravating it intermittently. Further, it *seems* like favoring this side has led to a lower back problem on my left side (I'm assuming from compensation). All of this has left me very frustrated, as I've strained my lower back and re-aggravated my hip several times over the last four months, leaving me very little actual progress to show for my efforts.

I've tried chiropractic assistance, but essentially all I've been told is "stop doing what's hurting it". While that may ultimately be the answer I have to accept, I'm hoping there's something else I can do to fix this problem. Heck, at the moment I'd settle for just knowing exactly what the problem is.

(As point of reference, my physical parameters are: M/36/6'8"/240#. My max back squat is about 265#, and my max DL is about 335#. Not exactly setting any records here...)

As a current example of this issue, while doing stiff-legged deadlifts as part of today's CA WOD, my hip hurt like crazy (sharp pain) when trying to bend my waist below about knee level with the bar. Again, it hurts on/in the front side of the hip joint (as near as I can pin-point it).

Any assistance, advice, diagnosis, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Warren Rupaprt is offline   Reply With Quote