Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Yuen Sohn

Default Eric Briglia: A Lifter to Watch

Just posting some vid of a 16 year-old teammate of mine. Eric's made some huge gains in speed and strength the past year.

As a 62kg class lifter last summer, Eric snatched about 80 and clean & jerked 100. At around 64-65kg bodyweight, he's now up to 95/120 and seems to have plenty more in him.

Here's his vid from Sunday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhooTrOonA

Eric is coached by his dad, Santi, at an LBH satellite gym (their garage).
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Yoon,
Awesome stuff. Looking at that young fella has me thinking that he's going to fill out quite nicely and grow into a very very impressive lifter. Absolutely fantastic to see.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Jonathan Owen

Seeing him put up those #'s at the SHU open was awesome, especially at his bw and his age. Im looking forward to watching him at some more meets!
Jonathan Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Yuen Sohn

After 1 year, he's up to 110/138 at 69.8kg bw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE55Gh0_8CA

-Unfortunately, the low-res vid doesn't really capture how fast and smooth he pulls under the bar.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
glennpendlay

Ive watched Eric for a number of years now... the thing that stands out in my mind is a few years ago when he was younger, seeing him in the warmup room AFTER the meet was over, or at least after he was done lifting, doing max attempt after max attempt, trying to get a couple more kilos overhead than he did in the competition. If memory serves, the year the schoolage was in Vermont, he not only did this after he was done lifting, but was back in the training room the day after he lifted, again taking max attempt after max attempt. He is certainly motivated, and also, id say fairly stubborn!

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Timothy Scalise

awesome lifts, really explosive guy. im wondering if he is going to put weight on as he developes, or stay there. I bet if he put on some more weight he would be even more impressive*** not saying you have to be big to lift great, but I just think that with his height he would be better served with some more weight, not taking anything away from what he is doing cause im just flat out impressed. ***
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Ive watched Eric for a number of years now... the thing that stands out in my mind is a few years ago when he was younger, seeing him in the warmup room AFTER the meet was over, or at least after he was done lifting, doing max attempt after max attempt, trying to get a couple more kilos overhead than he did in the competition. If memory serves, the year the schoolage was in Vermont, he not only did this after he was done lifting, but was back in the training room the day after he lifted, again taking max attempt after max attempt. He is certainly motivated, and also, id say fairly stubborn!

glenn
Haha, thanks for sharing Glenn. He really does have a deep-seated love of just plain lifting heavy things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise View Post
awesome lifts, really explosive guy. im wondering if he is going to put weight on as he developes, or stay there. I bet if he put on some more weight he would be even more impressive*** not saying you have to be big to lift great, but I just think that with his height he would be better served with some more weight, not taking anything away from what he is doing cause im just flat out impressed. ***
Yeah, he's apparently got a ridiculous, super-charged metabolism. I think he'll probably be a 94kg lifter one day.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Brian DeGennaro

He looks even scrawnier in person. As he progresses, he's definitely going to pack on some weight. I see him either as a solid 94 lifter.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Jonathan Owen

Yesterday was my teammate Dan's first meet and he has only been lifting Oly for 7 months. Dan is a former PL and really strong, and he was blown away by Eric Briglia. To see him walking around you wouldn't think he could put that much weight overhead, awesome! Yuen, thanks for the return favor on the jerky and I will see you and Alston at the CT Open.
Jonathan Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
Timothy Scalise

I was thinking 94 would be good, you said he is 62 now right? How tall is he? lets get the kid some freaking potatoes and steak, future gold medalist there.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote