Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 04-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Matthieu Hertilus

Default Weightlifting Equipment

I posted this in another sub-froum but didn't get my questions answered. I am going to start doing some weightlifting competitions and just wanted to make sure I got the right gear.

Singlets: is there a specific type of singlet I need?
I was looking into the speedsuits I found on this website: http://www.vsathletics.com/product.p...od=506&xSec=21
Would they suffice?

Shoes: I've heard a lot about Do-Win and Adidasl however, I'm trying to save as much money as possible so is there really a big difference between the brand of shoeds I named and something like these: http://www.vsathletics.com/product.p...=1301&xSec=158

Really need to hear some feedback before I order
Finally, in terms of size: do weightlifting shoes un the same size as regular shoes or should I order smaller or larger. (I wear a 9.5 shoe). Same goes for the singlet, I'm 5'6" 170lbs and fairly muscular. Would I be safe going for large, or do I have to go medium.

Thanks for the input.
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

Re: singlest, yeah any kind of one piece like a speedsuit or wrestling single will suffice. Different brands size differently. I got mine from East Bay and I think I ordered a medium and I'm only an inch shorter than you and a few pounds less. However, it'd be safe to say a large will do fine.

As far as shoes go, it's all preference. The VS are great pairs of shoes, very solid and will probably last a lifetime. Sizing I think should be the same as a running shoe: nice and snug, no movement of the feet.

Also, when and where are you going to compete?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus View Post
Singlets: is there a specific type of singlet I need?
I was looking into the speedsuits I found on this website: http://www.vsathletics.com/product.p...od=506&xSec=21
Would they suffice?.
Yes, those should be perfectly fine and are actually on the better-looking end of the spectrum, as far as singlets go (you'll see what I mean when you start competing, haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus View Post

Finally, in terms of size: do weightlifting shoes un the same size as regular shoes or should I order smaller or larger. (I wear a 9.5 shoe). Same goes for the singlet, I'm 5'6" 170lbs and fairly muscular. Would I be safe going for large, or do I have to go medium.
Regarding singlet sizing, I'm about 5'8" and fluctuate between 165-170ish. I've always gone with medium.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Chris Falkner

I just ordered mine from http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/ I got the Adidas Artenus. im 5'6" 69KG and I got the medium. It fits well. as for shoes I got a pair of Rogue Do-Wins. Love them. I have also heard good things about VS though.
Chris Falkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Matthieu Hertilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Re: singlest, yeah any kind of one piece like a speedsuit or wrestling single will suffice. Different brands size differently. I got mine from East Bay and I think I ordered a medium and I'm only an inch shorter than you and a few pounds less. However, it'd be safe to say a large will do fine.

As far as shoes go, it's all preference. The VS are great pairs of shoes, very solid and will probably last a lifetime. Sizing I think should be the same as a running shoe: nice and snug, no movement of the feet.

Also, when and where are you going to compete?
Well I looked up thr Garden State Classsics in June (59 days away), but I think im gonna try finding something earlier if possible. Not sure because Im feeling a bit overtrained now and my hip flexors are sore as heck so I sould probably stick with the Garden State Games.

I last small question: are there any restrics as to wearing t-shirts underneath the singlets?
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Brian DeGennaro

As long as it doesn't pass the elbows or cover your neck you're fine. I usually wear a compression shirt under my singlet.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
As long as it doesn't pass the elbows or cover your neck you're fine. I usually wear a compression shirt under my singlet.
I've heard that wearing UnderArmour type stuff can cause the bar to slip when you catch a clean (and also tear your $40 shirt). Have you had any problems with that?

For reference, I'm about 6'2 and my XL Adidas singlet fit me at 190-195lbs bodyweight. However, it did have a decent amount of room to fill, which I had planned to grow into from the start. This is it; paid about $65 on eBay.

(By the way, the seller, "rbrlover," was very nice in letting me bid and then ending the auction early for me so I could have the singlet in time for my first meet. Not that it really matters as far as the topic of fitting a singlet goes, but I don't believe that acts of generosity should go unrecognized.)
Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Brian DeGennaro

The only problems I've had with compression shirts slipping is when I lift in my winter compression stuff. Those few mm's added to the clothing actually push the bar away from that sweet spot on my shoulders and if it has a turtle neck, forget about heavy weights. but you do have a point, the material is not very "griptastic" for the bar. I might end up buying a new [custom] one from Risto Sports with the shoulder and thigh protectors like yours, Pat.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Dave Paton

I bought an Eastbay brand track singlet from Eastbay. It is really nice and was about $30. I am 5'11 and 190. I bought an XL. It fits nice and is not skin tight. i would recommend going a little bigger especially if you wear a shirt underneath.
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
Alex Bond

I used to lift in a compression shirt and never had problems with bar security in either the front rack or doing back squats. I had to stop using it because I hypertrophied my way up to a larger size and didn't think it was worth it to get a new one. As summer comes around and the lifting gets hotter and sweatier, I might get a new one. I think they are really more comfortable than cotton in the heat.