Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Heaney View Post
On March 23:

446 squat
341 bench
545 dead
1,333 total @ 198
Federation / Gear / etc? Good work by the way..
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #22
Brian Lawyer

My first competition is this Saturday May 9. The plan for this week was to do 5 singles up to my last warmup lift on Monday and 4 singles up to my second to last warmup lift on Wednesday. I couldn't resist not doing anything last Sunday so I did 5 sets of 10 squat jumps to a 20" box. That was a huge mistake. My hamstrings are still sore today.

If any of you all know that soreness you get in your hams from Straight Leg Deadlifts that can last for several days. That is the same soreness I got from doing these squat jumps. I had no idea plyometrics would do that to me. A 20" box doesn't seem like much but I always try to elevate my whole body above the 20" rather than just doing a little tuck jump onto the box. The first two sets of 10, I started at the top then squatted and jumped. For the last 3 sets of 10, I started in the squat position and then just exploded up.

Anyways, the soreness really killed my Monday night workout. I missed a couple really easy snatches that I usually never miss in practice. Hopefully I will be fully functional by Wednesday night so I can take my 4 warmup reps with each exercise and gain some confidence back before the competition this weekend.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #23
garrett stack

Brian probably doesent help now , but I got the same soreness you describe the first time I tried box jumps but I have never had it since.
garrett stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #24
Garrett Smith

Brian,
Don't go adding new exercises the week before a meet. Lesson learned, hopefully!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #25
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Brian,
Don't go adding new exercises the week before a meet. Lesson learned, hopefully!
I know. I didn't think it was that "new" of an exercise. I have done the box jumps before. Just not the squat type box jumps as I described above. Plus I have never done in that volume before. Usually just 2 sets of 10.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #26
Brian Lawyer

Unfortunately I have nothing spectacular to report from my first competition. I weighed in at 92kg. I did a 100kg snatch and 120 CJ for a 220 total. I have done 105kg snatch before in practice and 120 CJ in practice before. So no PR results.

I almost thought I was going to totally embarass myself when I missed my opening snatch. I felt real rushed and it's so wierd in front of an audience. So I missed 95kg. But then I regained my composure and threw up 95lbs. Then I did 100kg real easily. If I wouldn't have blown my first lift I am sure I could have done 105kg or 106kg on my third.

I opened with a 115 cj real easily, then 120 pretty easily, and then 125 I don't know what I did. I think the adrenaline was going so much I pulled it clear up to my adams apple both my hands flew of the bar and it just kind of bounced off me and hit the ground. Total disaster. I think my wife got some video of the CJ's.

The best part of the competition was I got to see Glenn Pendlay's young prospect, Caleb Ward. I don't remember what his lifts were but they were insane. I think it was like a 130kg snatch and 145 CJ or something. He made 5 out of 6 and only missed his 6 because his back shoe flew off on the split jerk.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #27
glennpendlay

Brian, your lifts were COMPETITION records, which is different than training records. In training, if your hand flys off the bar, you can try again, in competition, you cant. You have to hit it the first time. It is normal for beginners to have much higher training records than competition records for a while because of this, they are too inconsistent to hit the same lifts when they only get one chance at it.

I thought you did really well, if you can stay on your heals better when pulling, and dip and drive straight on every attempt like you did on the 120 (most of your warmups and your 115 were not straight dips) you should be looking at 110/135 in the very near future.

And FYI, caleb hit 140/145/150 on his three snatch attempts, and 170/180/190 on his three clean and jerk attempts. On the 190, he cleaned it easy and caught the jerk strongly, only to have his back shoe come about half off, his heal came completely out of it and touched the platform... no way to recover. we were taking it easy, doing third attemps with what his projected openers will be at worlds. None of the lifts were hard in spite of being done at the end of a heavy week of training with no taper.

I also had some other kids do well. I took 17 kids and every one except caleb made at least one personal record, and obviously caleb lifted light on purpose. I was very pleased with the kids that opted to go to this meet. PR's are contagious, and once the youngest and lightest kids started making them, everyone got psyched up and made them.

And special props to my son William for doing 20kg snatch and 26kg clean and jerk, both competition PR's. He missed the jerk on his second attempt clean and jerk at 23kg, and had the guts to move up for a PR and go and attack it and make it convincingly. Way to go William! We'll be putting another nail in the bedroom wall for your new gold medal at the prestigeous Van Alstyne open held at the spacious and opulent Van Alstyne fine arts and convention center!

One other gutsy comeback that derserves mentioning was Antonio Torres, an 8 year old who missed badly with a 38kg clean and jerk on his second, only to come back and make maybe the best clean and jerk I have ever seen him do with 38 on his third. Way to go Antonio!

Our kids have lots of fight!

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #28
Garrett Smith

Brian, my openers on both lifts haven't felt right in both of my meets so far, that's why I like a very doable weight.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #29
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
...And FYI, caleb hit 140/145/150 on his three snatch attempts, and 170/180/190 on his three clean and jerk attempts..... None of the lifts were hard in spite of being done at the end of a heavy week of training with no taper.....And special props to my son William for doing 20kg snatch and 26kg clean and jerk, both competition PR's. He missed the jerk on his second attempt clean and jerk at 23kg, and had the guts to move up for a PR and go and attack it and make it convincingly. Way to go William! We'll be putting another nail in the bedroom wall for your new gold medal at the prestigeous Van Alstyne open held at the spacious and opulent Van Alstyne fine arts and convention center!....One other gutsy comeback that derserves mentioning was Antonio Torres, an 8 year old who missed badly with a 38kg clean and jerk on his second, only to come back and make maybe the best clean and jerk I have ever seen him do with 38 on his third. Way to go Antonio!
I was way off on Caleb's lifts. I couldn't remember once I got home. I can attest to the fact none of the Calebs lifts looked hard from what I saw.

Good Job William and Antonio! I think I worked out with Antonio last time I was in Wichita. By that I mean worked out on the platform next to him. If he is the one I was thinking of who was coming off an illness. I need to catch a workout with William next time I come. I'll try to make it on a day William and Caleb are training.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #30
Timothy Scalise

brian those are really good numbers, you should be proud, just work to make them better. Hell you are doing more than me and I weight more than you, hopefully not at the end of the year though :P. First comps are crazy on the nerves though, Im doing my second comp in june, the first one I almost made myself pass out on my first clean. I started with 95 something I knew I could easily do, I ended up power cleaning it cause I forgot to squat and the bar hit me strait in the adams apple and a mist flew from my mouth, and I almost blacked out. So I rushed but made my jerk, and droped it went back stage and had to sit down before I passed out lol.

Glen, How old is that kid your taking to the worlds? and what weight class? really impressive lifts. I love this sport so much, I wish I had discovered it when I was younger. I love this sport though, and I figure I maybe too old to make the olympics now, but I hope to coach a kid to the olympics in the future. Just getting my experience in now.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote