Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #21
Kevin Anderson

Let me clarify. I'm not talking about keeping a firm grip on the bar but more than just the fingertips. I used to have the problem with the pinkies coming off but now I can reset before the jerk and get them under the bar. With the fingers taking so much of the strain I end up with inflamed wrists. I shouldn't say that it hasn't improved because in the beginning I would have my hands "go to sleep" at night for several months. I also had to have a cyst removed from one wrist but this was back in the crossfit days. My coach gets enough hand under the bar that he jerks with his thumb behind the bar, but he is one of those few most likely.
Kevin Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #22
Greg Everett
Administrator

In that case, I would say that improving wrist flexibility should help--there shouldn't be strain of that degree in that position. It should be comfortable even.

As far as getting your hands deeper, the lengths of your arm segments does play a part in what positions you can actually get into. You may just have some suck to deal with.

Can you post a photo maybe?

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #23
Elliot Royce

I'm probably belaboring the point but since I suffer from the same thing, Kevin, maybe it will be helpful.

You don't actually need more than your fingertips to have the bar in a racked position. The bar sinks into your delts and isn't going to go anywhere. Even when you jerk it, you just need the first half of your fingers on it since you can grip it as it rises into full extension. You're not using your hands to lift it off your shoulders.

I don't know whether this will hold you back with really heavy weights but it works well enough for me to practice even if I am very stiff.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #24
Greg Everett
Administrator

the finger tip jerk works and few high level lifters out there do it. but it is tougher since you have to shift the hands while the bar is moving up. i think kevin was concerned mainly with his pinkies being off the bar, in which case jerking won't work.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #25
Kevin Anderson

I used to have scrapes on the top of my pinky knuckle from jerking a sharp usaeka bar without having my pinky under it. I've jerked 140 kilos off the racks but I can miss a 100 power jerk because I can't get enough under the bar and it loses momentum before my palm catches it. My lines just aren't very good on this movement.

That said, I'm not complaining, my total was 240 at the last meet and I'm 34 years old with only a couple years experience. I just know that yall are real scientific on this board and may have some suggestions or techniques regarding stretching. I would like to have less wrist pain from lifting but maybe I'm just being a puss.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:31 AM   #26
Yuen Sohn

Kevin,
I asked a master lifter I train with about improving shoulder flexibility...I pasted his e-mail response below. Not sure if you're doing these already, but hope this helps.

Quote:
As far as shoulder flexibility for racking cleans goes there are many stretches that are effective. Your shoulder routine should include:

1. Dislocates with a broom stick.
2. Rack stretches. Lock a bar into the power rack and have someone apply a steady, GENTLE upward stretch on your elbows. Lenny Bacino can help you with this if you are there on Wednesday. Keep the pressure on for 20 seconds, relax for 10 seconds then repeat a few times.
3. Practice power cleans with a light weight 20, 30 or 40 kilos. Do lots of reps and concentrate on whipping the elbows and keeping the shoulder girdle relaxed. Do the reps from the floor and try to do 6-10 reps a minute for 3 minutes or more. You can rest in the start position for a few seconds between reps. These should make you sweat but not tire you out.
4. If you can rack a power clean properly but can't rack a squat clean very well then your flexibility challenge is probably in the back -- maybe the rhomboids or the lower spinal erectors.
5. And of course, don't neglect the triceps. They need to be stretched too. Pull your flat hand (palm up) back and down on top of your deltoids. Hold the position for 20 seconds, relax for 10, repeat.

See you at the gym!

Jeff
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #27
Kevin Anderson

great stuff, thanks!