Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #11
Frank Needham

Brandon your Cholest/HDL ratio is 2.65, lower than Jay's or mine. Jay's is almost 4x and mine is 3.11 and here's a really cool explanation of the ratios and risk factor's from exrx.net : http://www.exrx.net/Testing/LDL&HDL.html

My most recent numbers:
Patient Fasting
Total Cholesterol 205 Range should be 125-200
Triglycerides 87 Range should be 0-150
HDL 66 Range should be 40-199
LDL (calculated) 122 Range should be 70-130
VLDL: not tested
Chol/HDL 3.11 Range should be 0 - 5.0

According to my Doc and the AMA interpretation from exrx.net my risk factors are quite low, Brandon's are quite low and Jay's are high except for his HDL and TC/HDL ratio which are both quite good. And, as my Doc told me, these tests are a guideline, not gospel, and are supposed to be interpreted in terms of individual history. I've read that, as an adult, you are supposed to get these factors tested every 5 years, every 2 years, etc. If you can, I'd get them done as frequently as you feel the need.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Xuan Mai Ho

Since we're all sharing, here are my numbers from earlier this year:
Female, age 32, weight 138 lb, height 5'2"

Cholesterol / Total : 254
Triglycerides : 51
HDL Cholesterol : 105
VLDL Cholesterol : 10
LDL Cholesterol : 139
LDL / HDL Ratio : 1.3
Glucose : 99

The last time I did blood work (maybe 6 years prior to this test), my weight was 150-155 lbs, I ate tons of carbs, very little meat and did no exercise. My triglycerides were maybe 2 points lower, HDL was in the 50's, LDL's were much lower than they are now.

After I received my results, I was sent to a nutritionist who made the following suggestions:

1) Lose weight
2) Exercise More
3) Eat more whole grains and low/non fat cheese. Also, cut out the red beef.

I have to admit - I did freak out for a couple of hours after I received the numbers and after my appointment with the nutritionist. But after some time cooling off, I came to this:

1) Trying to lose weight will just make me bonkers. My body likes to be around 138 lbs and when I try to go lower, I need to restrict calories to a point in which I end up obsessing about food.

2) Since I already lift around 3 times a week and do martial arts twice a week, how much more exercise can I add in a week while still having balance in the other areas of my life? At the time of my readings, I was also walking a mile a day as well because we lived a 1/2 mile away from the subway.

3) Eating a grain-centric, low-fat diet makes my blood sugar levels go all over the place. The ups and downs, severe hunger shakes, and achey joints from grains/sugar are a thing of the past with my now predominantly lower-carb, meat, vegetable, fruit centric diet.

So, for me, as long as my energy levels are good and I can participate in the physical activities that I like, I'll live with the higher cholesterol readings.
Xuan Mai Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
Scott Hanson

Jay,

Not sure if you follow William Davis' blog. He's a cardiologist and posts lots of good stuff on reducing risk of heart disease through diet (eliminate wheat, starch, sugar) and supplementation (fish oil, Vit D, niacin, etc.). Here are some of his entries on LDL and how inaccurate the calculated values are:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...%20cholesterol
Scott Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
Arien Malec

The inaccuracies that Dr. Davis and others discuss in the LDL calculation affect those with very high or very low TG. That applies to Xuan (her LDL is probably lower than calculated given her very low TG) and with her awesome freakazoid HDL she probably should have no worries.

Jay's numbers are a different story: the HDL is nicely high but not crazy high, the TG is low average and and not likely to throw off the calculation, and the LDL is off the charts. It might be nice in his case to get a sense of the ApoB/ApoA ratio and the true LDL particle count.

Plugging Jay's numbers into the alternative "Iranian" model for LDL calculation doesn't change the numbers much. Plugging Xuan's numbers into that model drops her LDL from 139 to 107 (that is, from elevated to normal). I'd bet in her case that reflects something much closer to the truth if she had a true LDL particle count done, and I'd bet that her ApoB/ApoA ratio would be very favorable.

Not a doctor, not giving medical advice, check everything you read here with a real medical professional, etc etc.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Jay Cohen

Again, thanks for the replies, I will check out the links provided.

I'm back in the lab in two weeks for a Creatinine Serum test, 2 weeks after that for another Cholesterol check.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
Derek Simonds

I just went through the exercise Arien did with my wife. Her profile was very similar to Xuan's. I don't remember the exact numbers I think her LDL's were a little lower and TG's a little higher. She was pretty freaked out and the doctors office gave her the standard AMA heart diet grains, blah, blah, freaking blah. We had a couple of fairly exciting conversations with one ending in so you know more than the AMA?

Hmm probably time to reevaluate how I was communicating Thankfully after another thoughtful discussion on the Iranian method and telling her if she was really that concerned that I would pay for the LDL particulate test we were able to get through some things.

Jay I am also interested to here what happens with you. Please keep sharing.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #17
Mike ODonnell

The biggest thing to fear with cholesterol is the oxidation of LDL particles (that's where all the issues stem from)....so if inflammation factors are low, LDL particles are big and fluffy (and less likely to get stuck in artery walls), there is enough HDL to take care of LDL......in a sense the total number doesn't matter.

May want to throw in some more fruits/veggies with all the meat to help control any oxidation factors (which could in turn cause the body to produce more cholesterol)....as antioxidants are our friends.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #18
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
The biggest thing to fear with cholesterol is the oxidation of LDL particles (that's where all the issues stem from)....so if inflammation factors are low, LDL particles are big and fluffy (and less likely to get stuck in artery walls), there is enough HDL to take care of LDL......in a sense the total number doesn't matter.

May want to throw in some more fruits/veggies with all the meat to help control any oxidation factors (which could in turn cause the body to produce more cholesterol)....as antioxidants are our friends.

Mike, yep, need to add some more fruit and veggies, will probable add in some more chicken and fish and not eat pork/beef every day. I was hitting the meat pretty hard. Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #19
Grissim Connery

do you have values for homocysteine, c-reactive protein, IL-6, and TNF-alpha?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #20
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
do you have values for homocysteine, c-reactive protein, IL-6, and TNF-alpha?
I need to review test results, which are at home. Look later.