Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
Mike ODonnell

I usually just do it with deadlifts....and even rack holds (heavy than normal).

The last time I "smoked" my forearms was doing high rep hang cleans (95lbs) for like 30 reps long ago.....that hurt.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Paul McKirdy

haha! funny you should mention that, this past Saturday i did my first way overloaded only 3" from lock out absolute maximum "what the hell can i actually stand up with in my hands" lift in a rack. i wouldn't call it a rack pull, just a maximum stand up and hold for as long as possible. did 4 reps 2 alternated one way 2 alternated the other, and yea on Monday my forearms were still banging. and grip today feels very good. going to start incorporating these at a minimum of every two weeks, i look at it as keeping the CNS way ahead of where the hell we are going. stiff legged DLs after that felt like nothing. amazing stuff.

nothing better than getting better.
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
Kevin Perry

Using a thicker bar seems to be number 1 for me right now. Going to build a new pullup bar and use a thick bar for this purpose.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
John Alston

Anyone have any experience with these? am thinking about adding them to my paltry home gym
http://fatgripz.com/
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
Derek Simonds

I hadn't seen those but I just ordered a pair. I want a fat bar but haven't been willing to spend the extra couple of hundred dollars. If they suck I will send them back!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #16
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I hadn't seen those but I just ordered a pair. I want a fat bar but haven't been willing to spend the extra couple of hundred dollars. If they suck I will send them back!
Sweet. I am thinking about ordering too. Birthday present to self.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
Paul McKirdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Can't wait to hear about them. I have been thinking about something like this, but I would want them to spin freely, now you are talking ultimate wrist and grip stability... I have been thinking of building up something with PVC pipe that will be thicker around the bar of course and purposely spin about it easily. Like the rolling thunder, but able to applied anywhere. Ok, end of random thoughts.
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McKirdy View Post
Can't wait to hear about them. I have been thinking about something like this, but I would want them to spin freely, now you are talking ultimate wrist and grip stability... I have been thinking of building up something with PVC pipe that will be thicker around the bar of course and purposely spin about it easily. Like the rolling thunder, but able to applied anywhere. Ok, end of random thoughts.
What I like about these is that I think I could put them on my DBS at home which all my home weights. Suddenly pressing he 60lb might not be so easy nor would be cleaning it. Someone who gets them can let me know the dimensions so I cam see I'd they'll fit since I can't find that on their page?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Derek Simonds

I have a rolling thunder and carabiner setup and it is just absolutely painful for grip work. I love it. I am finding out that my left hand is substantially weaker with the RT. Which is weird since all the other grip stuff I do both hands are pretty close. The other thing about the RT is that if you have big ole mitts I think it is easier.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

http://www.lynxpt.com/

These aren't anywhere as thick as those other grips but I like using these and they increase the grip a little bit. I originally saw them in an article by Eric Cressey so I figured why not? I really like them if you only have a thin bar for pullups and throw these bad boys on there. I've been using them for DL's and rows as well.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote