Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #61
Greg Davis

Thursday June 25 - July 1st.

Things have been CRAZY. Moved apartments on Tuesday but before that could happen we painted the entire new place. Jeez my girlfriend came up an elaborate 4-color scheme with accent walls et al and was it ever a pain to get done. I had never painted anything so walked in to it totally naive. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do getting the whole place done over friday night, sat & sun. Then there was the move and we didn't have much in the way of help!

Food was sporadic as I had no kitchen and our stuff was packed up. Too much fruit, nuts, and coffee but had to make due. 3 (strong) coffees a day over these days.. felt crazy manic but we got a lot of work done. Body was aching from taping the ceilings and shouldering the brunt of the move. Lebanese take-out two nights with some decent meals mixed in there but certainly not enough food. Probably averaged less than 2500 kcals but I'm not sure.

Finally settled somewhat and it is crunch time with my thesis (only a few weeks to get it handed in). Haven't had a real workout in a week. Feeling super stressed.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #62
Greg Davis

Thurs July 2

Sleep

0530 wakeup
~6 hrs sleep
woke up early..

2300 in bed

Activity

biked to and from a meeting ~15mins each way

1245 weights + BJJ
squeezed for time

quick set of 5 pistols, ham bridge
2 sets of dips and chinups
1 set of planch to headstands, l-sit

intense BJJ hour, worked stand-up takedowns. exhausted

Food

1 espresso

0645 breakfast
2 duck, 1 chick eggs, in coconut oil
strawberries and grapefruit

im totally impressed with the pastured duck eggs we got. same price as the chicken eggs but HUGE. makes the price worth it. yolks are massive and shells are twice as hard to break.

fasted until after BJJ.. famished.

1500 lunch
BIG sweet potato
can of sockeye salmon
tbsp butter

1930 dinner
ground pork & beef with spinach, mushrooms, apple, lots of oil
Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #63
Greg Davis

I've been using a rough 3-workout split based on back squats, deadlifts, and pistol squats. Saw a comment from Art De Vany that makes me wonder if pistols are appropriate to work in on such a regular basis:

Quote:
ArtDeVany Says:

Quote:
Lunges are worse than one-leg presses because the spine creates a lever between the weight on your shoulders and your hips.
I do feel the one-leg press is about the best of them all. It halves the load and creates an asymmetry that builds balance. One leg cannot support the other. There are side loading issues as Chris points out. A side load does create a shear force that can be damaging.
I can do about 7-8 pistols on each leg, and I don't do a lot of volume (usually a set of bw, then a set with some DBs).

Should probably look in to it.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #64
Greg Davis

update

successfully defended my thesis last week :>

training is going good.. sleep has improved a ton since finishing thesis and ive seen benefits from trying to keep my kcals averaging 3k+.

made it up to 170lbs.. still low bodyfat and my body seems to respond positively hormonally to having some more weight on. (better mood + sleep)

i found a system to make sure my kcals dont drop too low that works pretty well for me. i just keep a weekly checklist note in evernote that counts # of lunches/dinners/pwo. no measuring or predefined meal plans, zone blocks, or fitday logging.

i know how many i roughly need to keep my weight up and fuel my training, so this allows me to make sure i get them in over a whole week. IF whenever i want, and i just look near the end of the week to see if i need to get more feedings in or have a chance to fast some more.