Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What exactly have you been doing in your rehab to regain power? What about proprioceptive work?

I realize you might be out of rehab as well so if that's the case what have you been doing since then and what was the last things you did then?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
Nick Hunter

No worries guys, fire away.
Nick Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
Nick Hunter

Had a three-hour skype session with Charles, who is trying to get me to convert my body to healthy motion so that it may thrive. He is also somewhat interested in rugby, which I am trying to convert him to, so that his body may wither and die as mine has! It was great to have a video link in the session for demonstrations and better observation.

Talking points:

* Quadriceps, Hamstrings, IT Band, Thoracic Spine, Vastus Areas, Pectoral, Deltoid, Biceps, Peroneals, Tibialis Anteriors, all need rolling via hard foam-roller or hard medicine ball. Scar tissue can build up from injuries over the years and fail to be removed by the body, contributing to tightness and misalignment.
* My shoulders appear to have a healthy range of motion, demonstrated by an easily completed "Wall Angel" exercise.
* Possible hypertonic upper traps.
* Very little ability to coordinate scapular depression, poor scapular depression strength.
* Slight kyphosis of upper back.
* Slight forward shoulder posture.
* Ankles could be impinged by bony structures, but the pain could also come from the tendons terminating at the ankle being drawn very tight, and misalignment of tissue there.
* Likely poor adduction at the hip, poor groin strength, tight external rotators, as my feet turn out extremely easily when given the chance.
* Less than desirable arch of the foot.
* Musculature composed of powerful main movers, held together by bullshit.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Nick Hunter

Foam rolled calves, IT, peroneals, quads, thoracic spine multiple times. Not sure I'm doing it completely right as it's my first day. I'm using a 4" PVC pipe.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Jacob Rowell

Hey Nick!

If you're in the area, swing by sometime! We're having a cookout on August 29th, more than welcome to come by and get some food. I'd love to hear about everything you're doing, looks like you're being incredibly proactive about recovery and addressing movement issues.

You were in Australia or NZ, correct?
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Nick Hunter

Progress on upperbody. Lower body hanging uselessly from pullup bar as expected.

Pullups (palms facing away)
BWx6
BWx6
BWx6
BWx6
BWx6
(all reps cleaner than last session as well)

Facepulls (from higher height)
BLK+YLWx10
BLKx10
BLKx28

Facepulls are getting frustrating. My rhomboids and lower traps are just not very used to direct communication and are not very strong. It's hard for me to activate scapular depression, and scapular retraction loses "feel" after a couple reps, making it hard to verify.

My goal with pullups right now is just to improve by one rep per set or one set per session every time. So next time I'll either get 5x7 or get 6x6. I'll try to do prone cobras in some of my off days to help shoulder health as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
Nick Hunter

Doctor Report

1. My surgery is on Tuesday and will be a Patella Tendon Graft.

2. I have bone spurs in my ankles. This means my lack of dorsiflexion and resulting calf and achilles tightness is due to mechanical blockage of the ankle. My only option is to get them scoped, and that's not a sure thing either. It will be discussed after the bulk of the ACL recovery is accomplished. A lack of dorsiflexion can put you at risk for ACL tears because the knee will seek that lost range of motion by tracking inside the ankle, putting it into valgus.

If the scope for the ankle doesn't seem like the best choice (it does right now) I will have to learn how to continue my training while making allowances for a permanent lack of ankle flexion.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
mark williams

Hi mate - according to your post in my log - you should be waking up from surgery shortly?

My memories are a looonng first night (I had surgery at about 4pm, 3 hour procedure) but major improvements the next day so take all the morphine you can!

As you know, a long road awaits, but lots of milestones along the way to keep your focus and attention in the meantime. You will plug away for months and months and suddenly, like I've found over the past 3 weeks, suddenly a wall falls down and the progress curve shoots up. I honestly don't notice my leg anymore, and even a few weeks ago that seemed impossible.

Good luck mate, and DO YOUR REHAB HARD!
mark williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #19
Nick Hunter

First PT appointment today:

Quad sets, Straight leg raises. Lots of pain. Somehow they did a nerve block on BOTH my legs rather than just the one they operated on, which has added to the frustration. Both blocks have still not worn off, so it's hard to activate the muscles, but still painful. I made good progress on extending the knee, however, and the joint itself looks good, with mild swelling and a pretty clean cut site.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Nick Hunter

As an aside,

3:30PM: I am discussing with my PT how three years ago a lady had a heart attack at the wheel and crashed into my neighbor's front yard.

4:30PM: Leaving PT some Jesus lady asks if she can pray for my healthy recovery. I let her.

5:00PM: Sitting on the couch at home, I listen as a truck driver smashes my family's two cars on the street en route to crashing into my same neighbor's front yard.