Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Robert Bennett

Default Lights out! TS Wiley

Hi all,

I have started reading Lights out by TS wiley and it is incredible! Absolutely mind blowing in my opinion. I know there are a few people on here that have read it and so I was wondering what your honest opinions are on this book. The reason I ask is that it makes some huge and bold statements...but to me they just seem to make complete logical sense. Also, I know TS wiley is very contreversial with regards to her bio-identical hormone therapy which is why initally I wasn't sure how seriously I should take the information in Lights out she presents. But anyway I must say it is one of the best books I have ever read and makes sense!

So can anyone please express an opinion. It would be much apprecited.

PS: To anyone that doesn't have this book: it is an excellent read and I really recommend it for everyone.

Thanks,

Rob.
Robert Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Greg Davis

i liked it but its a hard one to recommend to people if they are picky about good writing style .. and yeah she doesnt strike me as having too much credibility on anything other than pointing out some overarching ideas.

if u listen to her audio interview on jimmy moore's show she falls pretty flat. IMO i just dont think eating low carb in the winter and then going balls out in the summer is a practical way to go for most people. id really like to see more of the ideas about the seasonal origins of hormones integrated in to a better book..

(high hopes for robb wolf's book)
Old 09-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Mike Romano

yeah....I thought she was, overall, a little extremist/alarmist, not that this discredits her writing, but it kind of turned me off. Also, I did not like that there were no internal citations. Some inferences I didn't really think held up, i.e. the "runner's high" is because our bodies know we are going to die....didn't that evolve because it helps us get away from predators/allows us to not feel pain from our wounds until we reach safety? How could there possibly be an evolutionary benefit to being high when you are dying? If this actually makes sense and I am just being a tard, please explain haha.
Mike Romano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

I thought is was an OK read, and I've changed some sleep patterns. Bought a sleep mask, close the door in my computer room, face the digital clock away from me, and most importantly, have increased my total amount of sleep by 1/2 hr, if not more.

Jay
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

I thought there was good information in the book, however I did not care for the writing style.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote