Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
Ben Moskowitz

Thanks for the tip. I've been warming up with either skill transfer exercises or just earlier PVC progressions shown in the book, but yeah, can't go wrong with the Burgener WU.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
Ben Moskowitz

OK, here's a video with the bar. It's about a week old.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Yuen Sohn

Ben,
Looking good.

It's verrrry subtle, but I get the sense you're engaging the arms just a tiny bit early (before hips fully extend). It's very tough to tell at this weight though. I'd like to see you move up in weight (as per your planned progression) to see if that better reveals any technical issues.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
Ben Moskowitz

Looking back, I noticed some of that when I stepped through on the Quicktime files on my computer. I left the book up at school, but I think the next step was to take it to the floor, so I've been practicing the 1st pull positions. It feels really weird going from below the knee to the hang because it always feels like I have to pull the bar into my thighs for the last few inches rather than just using the legs.

video:
1st Pull Positioning

I could throw in some weighted hang pwr snatches later this week too.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
Michael McKenna

Ben, I think your first video was better than your recent ones. After watching the video you just posted, I wondered why I hadn't commented. But looking back on the first video, I saw some better positions, and figured you were on the right track. But now, not so much.

I would focus on two things: 1. Get your shoulders over the bar and 2. hip extension. In your start, in your pulls, in all of them except on that first video, your shoulders are behind the bar when you start your explosion. Keep your hips higher and shoulders over the bar longer. When you see good lifters lift, they do this. When you see good lifters screw up their big lifts, they do what you're doing now.

Hip extension is the key to making a lift. Lost in the discussion of jumping or not, etc. is this: Jumping gets the athlete to focus on explosive and powerful extension of the body. You need a violent and explosive extension to lift well. That violent and explosive extension does not come from the feet, it comes from the hips and the knees, moving together, and flattening the plane of the body out. If you want to think "jump", go ahead. But instead of lifting your feet off the ground as you would in a vertical leap, keep them flat. Right when you're at the point of the jump where you're going to leave the ground, DRIVE your feet flat into the ground. This movement will start teaching you the violent and explosive hip extension you need.

Do it slowly 2-3 times with the empty bar or a broomstick/ pvc. Then do it faster. Olympic Lifting isn't slow. Don't train your movements slowly.

I may have missed something here on the forum, but if you're in St. Louis, why can't you go to the Kirkwood Weightlifting Club for some instruction?

http://web.mac.com/kirkwood.wl/Kirkw...Club/Home.html
Michael McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
Ben Moskowitz

Thanks for the analysis Michael. I have always been thinking about jump rather than driving my feet flat through the ground. I think this different cue will help curtail "short-rooming" my hip extension.

When I got home, I chose to work out in the neighborhood gym so I could coach my sister a little bit. At the time of your suggestion, I got some pain in my shoulder joints and knee, so I decided not to head to an Oly gym. Since then, I've been icing, resting, and working on trigger points. I look forward to working my technique from the ground up (again).