Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #1031
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Really glad that the house is coming together nicely. I am also glad that I don't live close so you can't ask me to help paint... In case you couldn't tell I hate painting.
Painting today....urgh.....
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #1032
Allen Yeh

October 9, 2009

3 mile run back from the auto shop - it was only supposed to be 1.6 miles but I got lost.
23:43 I'm happy with a sub 24 3 mile.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #1033
Derek Simonds

Nice run! I have been cleaning for time since 7 AM. Just glad to not be painting...

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #1034
Allen Yeh

You suck.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #1035
Derek Weaver

How's the Cressey program going? I'm thinking of running through as I don't feel like programming and got the dreaded " Wow, you got skinny all of a sudden. Didn't you" comment at work yesterday. It took people a while to notice all the weight I unintentionaly lost. In a garage gym I may have to get creative with some subs though.

By the way, the glute stuff is a killer, but I seriously started feeling better and stronger in almost everything after my first Phase 1 workout.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #1036
Allen Yeh

Painting sucks.

At least it's over....for now.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #1037
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
How's the Cressey program going? I'm thinking of running through as I don't feel like programming and got the dreaded " Wow, you got skinny all of a sudden. Didn't you" comment at work yesterday. It took people a while to notice all the weight I unintentionaly lost. In a garage gym I may have to get creative with some subs though.

By the way, the glute stuff is a killer, but I seriously started feeling better and stronger in almost everything after my first Phase 1 workout.
I like his programming, I am a big fan of his book as well. It's pretty flexible as the program laid out is purely the strength part and he suggest metcon/conditioning on your own. In his book he typically recommended 10 minutes of conditioning on workout days and then other conditioning on "rest" days while he typically stays with monostructural conditioning. I've never really had a problem doing what I want with it. I just stay away from chippers and the like. You do have to be pretty creative with the subs at home. I'm sure though that you have more equipment than I do. The program he outlined in there is a lower body focused program, I actually shifted the emphasis to a upper body focused program just by decreasing some of the lower body volume.

That glute stuff is fun but that first phase starts to get a little stale after you've done it a few times. I've only done the 2nd phase once so far, I've started slacking at the end of last week. Going for my 2nd time with phase 2 today. on my whole body day.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #1038
Derek Weaver

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and went with the Cressey stuff until I leave for my trip because a) this weather has me dried out and LCCJ stuff is crushing until I adjust, b) with the skinny comments I realized I need to do some "armor building" as Dan John has called it. (again)
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #1039
Allen Yeh

October 12, 2009

AM
1. Warmup
ECWU #2
jump rope - 100 singles, 20L/R

2. Strength
sandbag clean and jerks - 110# - 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

sandbag row - 8, 8, 8
KB floor press - 24kg -8L/R, 8L/R, 8L/R
(superset with full rest - 1 minute)

glute bridge - 24kg KB on stomach - 12, 13
single-leg hip thrust - 10L/R, 10L/R
band adduction - purple JS band - 10L/R, 10L/R

3. Energy

Dan John Challenge #4:
Five forward rolls
Five right shoulder rolls
Five left shoulder rolls
Three cartwheels followed by three cartwheels to the other side
One set of bear crawls (about ten meters) - I did 15
Sprint 15 meters

handstand practice stuff with Connor and just tumbling for fun

Notes:
-Whole body day - A lot of improvisation but a good workout overall I think
-sandbag C+J - just getting a hold of the bag and ripping it off the ground is hard, I think I could do more weight for hte clean but for going overhead it's jsut right
-sandbag row- somewhat awkward, I felt like i'd either have a really wide stance otherwise I'd keep hitting my legs
-unilateral KB floor press - had a hard time keeping my scap tight on these, when you aren't tight you can feel your scap pushing against the floor, not comfortable
-Glute stuff - Phase 2 - Going from 30 to 53#'s was a big difference on the glute bridges
-DJ Challenge 4 - I didn't find this hard at all, I'll admit I felt a little dizzy afterward but not hard, Connor had a blast trying to follow along, afterwards we spent 15 minutes in the backyard just messing around with tumbling, handstands...etc

PM
20 minute walk around the neighborhood with Connor and Laurie

5 minutes with the stick on my lower body

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 10-14-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Added the 12th here
Old 10-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #1040
Allen Yeh

October 13, 2009

Pullups - chest to bar - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
dips - 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
inverted rows - 10, 10, 8
(superset with full rest - 1 minute)

12 minute walk

Notes:
-Upper body day - Did this at the playground while Connor was playing, I wanted all sets of 5 but I couldn't get my chest to the bar on my 6th set for reps 4 and 5 so I cut the reps down and tried to get in the volume.
-Dips - I did 6 total sets of dips I think, the 4th set really bothered my left elbow but I adjusted a little and it felt better on the 5th and 6th sets
-Inverted rows - just to get a little more upper back volume

PM
Used the stick on my entire body, upper back very tight

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 10-14-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: mixed up order of days