Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
Joel Barnett

Just a quick testimonial to cross chops. I tried them for the first time last night and they were a killer. I pulled up a WOD from way back that had zercher sand bag cleans, pull ups and cross chops. This was after some 3 position cleans. My "core" was toasted and I was sucking wind as well.
Joel Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
Andrew Simonis

I know this is a really old post but I just actually became a member of this forum, and I thought some might find this as an intersting exercise. It works grip pretty well too. Take a towel and thread it through the handle of the kettlebell so that it sticks out each side evenly. Hold each end of the towel with one hand and start to swing the kettlebell one direction getting it up and around the back of your head and back around again. while trying to keep your body pretty still in a power position. You would do a certain number of swings and then switch direction. The KB's we have at the high school I coach at are in lbs and start small and only go up to about 50 lbs i think. I usually start lighter and work my way up to as heavy as I can handle. Please make sure no one is standing close to you and that you have a safe place to drop the kb if you have to. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Andrew Simonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Patrick Donnelly

Not to disparage your creativity, but I'd be willing to bet there are safer ways to train the core.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #14
Derek Simonds

I am imagining that you do those similar to the way you would with a club bell or a sledgehammer. I know swinging the hammer works my core.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
Andrew Simonis

Well i think that this can be a safe move if done correctly. Its not a fast as you can move. The Kb is never really moving towards your body, or that close to it for that matter. I mean its no more dangerous than putting weight over your head. You wouldn't want anyone standing next to you or in front of you when doing a snatch right? I suggest working up to it. I'm sure some one figured this exercise out long before me. I actually got the idea from watching a video of Jimmy Rollins from the Phillies doing swings holding the KB with a towel through the horn. I through it was pretty cool so I started to expirament myself a little.

Last edited by Andrew Simonis; 10-16-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typing issues
Andrew Simonis is offline   Reply With Quote