Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Justin Keane

Default Advice on Fat Loss while Maintaining Strength

Just a tiny bit of background: doing some strength work now, linear progression based loosely around SS. 4 training days/wk, short heavy metcons on 3 of those days.

I'd like to drop about 10 lbs if possible while maintaining or increasing strength levels. (Recognizing this may be something of a golden goose) Less for vanity's than practicality's sake...I'd like to hit a powerlifting meet at some point in the near future and I feel like I'd do better at a lower weight class rather than adding weight.

So, checking out various spots it seems like a good macronutrient approach would incorporate a g/lb protein protocol, low carb, moderate fat. Should I be looking at a caloric deficit on recovery days or will that derail strength maintenance?

I'll hang up and listen.
Justin Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

As long as you lift heavy you can go slight caloric deficit on all days.

High pro, high fat, low carb is the way to go.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

A couple of key points: Volume is not the way to go. Intensity is. Keep things heavy and don't get too wrapped up in metabolic packages.

NEPA is key when trying to drop weight/fat but not laying waste to the muscle you've earned.

I'm in a moderately different camp in that I'd advise high protein, moderate fat, moderate carbs. Not quite Zone, but something that may resemble 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of each macro give or take a few grams or %'s along the way.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
A couple of key points: Volume is not the way to go. Intensity is. Keep things heavy and don't get too wrapped up in metabolic packages.

NEPA is key when trying to drop weight/fat but not laying waste to the muscle you've earned.

I'm in a moderately different camp in that I'd advise high protein, moderate fat, moderate carbs. Not quite Zone, but something that may resemble 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of each macro give or take a few grams or %'s along the way.
this works. did it recently to drop a weight class. low volume. SS volumes may be a bit high but whatever, stay frosty, even if that means you get in for 3 sets of squats and no accessory work. yes carbs, ditch the metcons, take long walks or light running if you have to. expect to take a step back for a couple weeks or more and you'll get there, Justin.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Miranda Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
this works. did it recently to drop a weight class. low volume. SS volumes may be a bit high but whatever, stay frosty, even if that means you get in for 3 sets of squats and no accessory work. yes carbs, ditch the metcons, take long walks or light running if you have to. expect to take a step back for a couple weeks or more and you'll get there, Justin.
Really? That's great news, anymore tips you can share
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Dave Van Skike

sure.

fitday.com.... counting calories works.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
Bill Ennis

Hi Everyone ;
I'm attempting to do the same thing as Justin . Two questions:
1. Derek ( or anyone ) what is NEPA ?
2. This may be a dumb question if I'm trying to lose some weight/fat - would the Mass (A)gain program or start a Strength Cycle ( e.g. 12/15/08 CA WOD ) be the way to maintain/increase strength while losing fat ?
Thanks.
Bill
Bill Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ennis View Post
Hi Everyone ;
2. This may be a dumb question if I'm trying to lose some weight/fat - would the Mass (A)gain program or start a Strength Cycle ( e.g. 12/15/08 CA WOD ) be the way to maintain/increase strength while losing fat ?
Thanks.
Bill
According to Chris Shugart here is his definition of NEPA

Quote:
The NEPA Walk

It's as simple as this: Go for a walk every day.

The idea here is to drain off a few calories to speed the fat loss process without impairing recovery and without taking any energy away from the weight training workouts. A good walk will actually speed up the recovery process.

The key here is to make the decision to walk everyday, rain or shine, busy or not.

Guidelines

1. The average person walks between 3 and 3.5 MPH. (Men walk about .5 miles per hour faster than women.) For your NEPA walk, shoot for around 4 MPH. If you're walking outside and not on a treadmill that shows you the speed, simply aim to walk faster than your normal pace. This isn't "speed walking," just walking faster than normal.

2. You can choose to walk for a certain distance or for a certain amount of time. Depending on your fitness level and the time you have, you can shoot for 30 to 60 minutes of fast walking or two to four miles. At 4 MPH, you can walk one mile in 15 minutes.

3. You may walk outside or inside on a treadmill. Walking on a treadmill actually burns a few less calories than walking outside, but this isn't a big deal. Simply incline the treadmill slightly and the calorie-burning will be increased as the posterior chain muscles are called into play.

4. While you can take your walk any time of the day -- morning, at lunch, or in the evening -- many experts believe that walking in the morning before you eat leads to faster fat loss. While I'd never suggest performing strenuous cardio in this fasted state (which could lead to muscle loss), a brisk walk is fine. Still, it's no big deal: get your walk in whenever you can, just never miss a day!

Warning: You will not "make the diet faster" by going for long runs, doing sprints, or taking hour-long aerobics classes. You will impede recovery, have less energy, and possibly cause your body to catabolize (eat up) lean muscle tissue, which will in turn wreck your metabolism.

Remember, the diet itself does most of the fat burning here and the weight training builds and/or helps you retain the metabolism-boosting muscle. Traditional cardio and aerobics just aren't necessary while on the V-Diet, and may even be counterproductive.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
Dave Van Skike

nvrmnd. allen got it.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
Jon Sikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ennis View Post
Hi Everyone ;
Thanks.
Bill
Re: 2, I wouldn't combine a program designed for gaining mass with losing fat. It stands to reason that such a program assumes good recovery due to a calorie surplus.

Something more PTTP-ish would be good. One or two lifts a day, start at a low percentage and build up slowly. Something like presses and front squats every workout isn't a bad combination.

Don't do too much. Any progress is good progress while dieting.
Jon Sikes is offline   Reply With Quote