Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Blair Lowe

Troy, no probs. It really isn't a routine, more of a guideline.

My boys work a lot of HS as do I because it's something we are poor at. They are still poor at it, imo but way beyond where they were when I started with them earlier this year and they have a long ways to go before I'm satisfied to any degree. With me, it will be necessary to get my HS on rings so I can press to HS in a routine and my pirouettes have come a long way on floor besides hand walking and it's built up my wrists to being as functional as they are gonna get.

I combine our HS work and HS flexibility work because the boys need it so much, a few in particular are lacking in the shoulder girdle department. Our girls ask me why we do so many and it's because it's generally something that they don't have enough shoulder flexibility or their HS needs a lot of work.

A pretty good format similar to what Steve is proposing is this. It's called the Killroy70 routine. Looking at it again, makes me want to think about switching my boys or myself to it. Typically I rotate the planes of the movements in tandem with the static positions in an embedded format instead of seperated FSP and FBE because of amount of time we have. Sometimes we do the FSP early in the workout and FBE later on. Lately, I haven't but I should go back to this.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...t=1957&start=0
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Troy Kerr

Steven- Is the activity flexibility work just another name for basic mobility drills like leg swings and such?

Blair- Following the killroy70 routine , you would hit all 4 Iso. movements 60 seconds each day, followed up by various pushing-pulling movements. What does FBE stand for?
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kerr View Post
Steven- Is the activity flexibility work just another name for basic mobility drills like leg swings and such?

Blair- Following the killroy70 routine , you would hit all 4 Iso. movements 60 seconds each day, followed up by various pushing-pulling movements. What does FBE stand for?
Active flexibility compression. See the bottom picture in this article.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/16

Basically, you're aiming to increase your ability to compression your positions. It's like taking your L sit up to V sit as well. This is one of the ways you can train straddle L and V compression... and the one I prefer.

If your quads/abs/hip flexors start cramping you are doing it right. Try it now you'll be surprised.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Troy Kerr

Steven-
I have read that a couple times and tried it out, but it honestly feels more like I am just doing an ab exercise. How does this help promote flexibility, because I honestly do not feel a stretch
Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kerr View Post
Steven-
I have read that a couple times and tried it out, but it honestly feels more like I am just doing an ab exercise. How does this help promote flexibility, because I honestly do not feel a stretch
You shouldn't feel a stretch. It's not a stretching exercise.

It's about obtaining compression (active flexibility) for your press to handstands, and it's a core exercise so you had better feel it in your abs.

If you need stretching, you need to work that in conjection with this. If you need CORE work, it's best to use active flexibility work for that. Which is why I suggested this -- it's a mobility drill but a different kind than you're used to.

Last edited by Steven Low : 10-18-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
Troy Kerr

Gotcha
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
Blair Lowe

FBE is the GymnasticBodies nomenclature for Full Body Exercise like a pushup, pullup, squat, etc. Something that moves that some might call dynamic, I would call isokinetic ( moving through a ROM at a set speed ).

What's the 4th isometric position? Straddle-L or HS?
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #18
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post
FBE is the GymnasticBodies nomenclature for Full Body Exercise like a pushup, pullup, squat, etc. Something that moves that some might call dynamic, I would call isokinetic ( moving through a ROM at a set speed ).

What's the 4th isometric position? Straddle-L or HS?
I'm not trying to argue minutia, but I believe isokinetic means exerting maximal force at a set velocity through the entire range of motion of a movement. Example: a bicep curl machine that supports your arms and you push a lever as hard as possible, but the speed is controlled by a machine.

I first read about in various strength texts, but here's an easier to site source:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/isokinetic+exercise
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Troy Kerr

I am following the program mwf, as it fits my class schedule much easier , tuesdays and thursdays are nearly impossible to get to the gym. I have doing the planche, BL, FL, and handstand for 60 seconds. Afterwords throw in a leg movement, the compression, and either horz push/pull, vertical push/pull, or multi plane like muscle ups or iron cross work. I ordered Building a Gymnastic Body so hopefully that will have some good info in it as well.