Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Sean Gregory

Default Bruised Patellar

Is it possible for a bruised tendon to turn into chronic tendonitis?

In May of this year while doing a week-long hike, I fell and injured my knee, specifically a bruised patellar tendon (according to the physio), and had to limp 35km off the trail with it. I was working outside at the time, so i could never give it enough rest to heal completely. I switched the majority of my training to the climbing wall, ring and gymnastic work for a couple of months, and the pain was pretty much gone. Since October I've been getting back into crossfit (no running or any high-impact movements), heavy squats and deads with every so often some minor, not pain, but a definite irritation/discomfort in my knee. But this would alway go away with some ice and a good night's sleep. Last week I was doing some heavy clean and jerks and walked away with this feeling again in my knee. I've been icing, and resting that leg, but it wont go away!!

Anyway, I can't figure out if I should just keep training; reduce the load to light/moderate weights; or lay off it completely? How much exercise is beneficial (if any), how much is detrimental? Although I work as a cook and have to stand for eight hours a day, so absolute rest is not an option. I really just don't want this to be a chronic injury.
Sean Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It is superficial and on the tendon?

It's possible you did some damage to it, but I don't think it would become chronic unless the muscles around the area tightened up which would put more stress on the area.

In any case, it COULD just be overuse in which case:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/
Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Sean Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
It is superficial and on the tendon?
I'm pretty sure it is.

The article was very informative, and whether tendonitis is what has developed or not, I suppose I might as well play it safe and treat it so, just in case (by the way, the first link in your article went nowhere; I think www.tendinosis.org/ (wfs) is what you meant?).

But, if it is just a bruise though, should it be treated differently? Would massage still apply? When I first went to the doctor, he mentioned biking and swimming would be good for it. I told him that they aggravated my knee (at the time), and he said that a little pain is fine, even good, as long as there's no hard impact.

Last edited by Sean Gregory : 11-17-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: (wfs)
Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It's doubtful that there's bruising there.

It's possible it devolved into something like calcific tendonitis or a bone spur but hopefully not.

I'd back off almost everything and get down to proper rehab to see if it improves. If it does then it's probably something you can get back 100% without any other medical intervention. If it doesn't then you may need something else...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Sean Gregory

Looks like I'll be back to ice, and have to dig out my copy of gymnastic bodies... not to mention a trip to the physio.