Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Clay Jones

Default Geek on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I got curious, and am also a big geek, after the other post I made today and worked out rough estimates of macros, cals and maintenance. If you'd like I can post them up or PM them to you. Or I can back off since it's your goals and project.
Hey Derek, go ahead and post up your figures; I'd be interested in seeing what you have come up with.

I'm guessing I'm around 12 cals/lb of BWT given my fitness and activity levels, which puts me at around 3,000 cals daily (but that is just a guess). Funny thing is, I don't think I'm eating that much, so I'm going to need to really log everything I eat for the next few weeks. That, and up my activity level.
Clay Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
Derek Weaver

Clay,
Sorry, it took a little bit for me to see your response here. If you're thinking 12 cals/lb to lose weight/fat, then you're likely right, but I'd do something like this first. This is going to be long, but I think it should answer any questions that may come up and give you something to come back to if need be. Still, feel free to continue to question.:
270 g/carbs, 270 g/protein, 120-130 g/fat... all per total lb of BW.

That should work out to between: 3240 and 3330 (approximate, a little over, a little under every day won't make much difference, 100-200 cals either way)

Which is approx 12 cals/lb on the low end with 120 grams of fat per day. Accounting for age when calculating BMR the estimate on the low(er) end at 14 cals/lb just to maintain comes up at 3780 ( call it 3800) cals/day. That's enough to generate ~1 lb drop per week. Once you've lost 5-10 lbs (not just initial water weight), assess progress. if you're losing steadily, then keep things the same. If you're not, then re work calories/macros and possibly activity (too little, too much?)

My guess would be a couple things with regards to current intake. Too much sugary crap (break room. mine at work is a killer, so I can empathize), too much starch in general... basically carbs that add up quickly. Oatmeal, if you don't have any intolerance issues, sweet potatoes, tubers and roots in general, fruit and vegetables. All are good choices, with the starchier choices best around workouts and other strenuous activity..

The second guess that I'd throw out there is the passive overconsumption of fat. It's easy to do. Next time you make a salad and decided to put some oil and vinegar on it, measure out how much you think you want/need of the oil in tablespoons. Each tablespoon is approx 14 grams of fat if it's olive oil. That's not a lot of oil. If you use 3 T of olive oil you've got 42 grams of fat for 378 cals. There goes your deficit if you don't make it up some other way.

My suggestion as you get on your way is to actually get an idea, like were were posting back and forth on earlier, of what you eat and what you need to eat to lose. If you're doing well, and not going crazy doing the measuring then keep it up. Don't fix it if it's not broken. It's the best way to stay accountable. If the measuring and counting is driving you crazy (understandable) then stop only once you have a solid idea of how much of each macro and how many calories are in the choice you're making.

Like Jay said, it's really not that complicated. Eat less, lose. Eat more, gain. The problem is that almost nobody knows how much food they're stuffing down each day. Snacking really adds up as well.

There are other ideas that can be applied as well, but I would start with an approach like this first.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
Clay Jones

Derek, thanks for the info. Been a bit busy at work so no time for the Internet till now. I have come up with similar numbers, tho my fat %ages may be a bit higher. Interesting that when I eat Zone (which I never do anymore) My cal requirements come out at around 2700 Cal. Not surprised that the Zone is oft considered a starvation diet. I'll post up my numbers later, don't have my training log in front of me.

I kept a food log for a week, the amount of sugar and empty Cals I was eating was nothing short of amazing. It is interesting to see how easy it is to let excess/low nutrition food in when you do not keep a log, but once I started tracking everything I found it pretty easy to modify my behavior, and everything fell into place. Now that I have cut out all the sugary crap and eat more whole foods, it is so much easier to control appetite. I also find myself eating less. Robb had made comments on his blog about how high carb/processed diets irritate the gut and prevent the uptake of calories, I'd be surprised if something like that was not happening in my case.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
Clay Jones

Wow, 2 years since I posted this. Time for a follow-up.

It took me another 6 months to actually get around to following Derek's suggestions; I actually started working on dropping weight in earnest at around May 2010, when I weighed in at 286. Things became progressively easier in June and July, as I am off most of the summer.

In the beginning I didn't notice much change so I ended up cutting calories a little further to 2500 cal or so; at that time I cut out all met-con style workouts because I remembered someone suggested a link between cortisol and stubborn mid section fat. Probably someone commenting in this thread, who knows. I ended up doing a lot of walking--4 days per week for an hour to two hours at a time--which seemed to help A LOT.

I had a sticking point about a month in so for a period of about 3 weeks I went low(ish) carb, and even tried a little IF, but it was sporadic. The low carb seemed to help. Low carb seems to work short term for me, but that's about it.

By the time September 2010 had rolled around, I was down to 246--a loss of 40 lbs.

I gained back about 10 lbs over the next year, compounded by the fact that I started eating crap again (long story). But I kept the other 30 off.

I still have about 20 to drop, so I'm going to still stick with Derek's recommendations. That plus the long walks, Complexes, and running 3x per week for no more than 30 min should do it. For some reason I have really taken to running and am finding it quite enjoyable.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

That's great Clay. Good job.

That cut to 2500 calories was pretty steep, but you were smart to add in lots of walking, and reducing the stupid human tricks (metcons).

Low carb is great to drop a ton of water quick, and at least see some change on the scale, but the combination of long term lowered carbs and strenuous activity usually leaves people looking and feeling burnt out.

Keep us updated.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
Clay Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
That's great Clay. Good job.

That cut to 2500 calories was pretty steep, but you were smart to add in lots of walking, and reducing the stupid human tricks (metcons).

Low carb is great to drop a ton of water quick, and at least see some change on the scale, but the combination of long term lowered carbs and strenuous activity usually leaves people looking and feeling burnt out.

Keep us updated.
Thanks Derek, your calculations were very helpful. As I recall now I dropped the extra 500 per day (give or take) by doing IF, it wasn't so much that I made a point of cutting calories as I made a point of trying IF. I'd do IF for a day or two, then find the next day that even when I ate 3 squares i was eating less. I don't recall doing low carb at that time; probably would have been a really bad idea to combine the three. I noticed a bit of burn out at the beginning of July; I immediately stopped all long hikes and upped my carbs and the feeling went away within a week.

I'm doing a bit of unintentional IF now as I can't seem to eat before noon but my macronutrient ratios look pretty good and I am eating plenty; I'm getting plenty of fat and have added white rice back into the diet since I tolerate it very well. I'm probably eating right around 3200 cal right now. I have no intention of going back to low carb since when I do my performance and recovery tanks.

Will post an update when I drop the next 5.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
John P. Walsh

You won't make real progress eating so many animals products. Get on a nutrient rich diet (hint: meat is not nutrient rich) and it won't matter what you do for a workout. You will lose fat.
John P. Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
john arthor

Calories are the main issue now days. Don't be afraid to get a calorie count for portions and then plus them in earlier. LIke you said, portion control is key. Knowing what your portions represent in relation to your metabolic rate is important.