Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Kevin Perry

Default Post-Appendectomy

Docs said I shouldn't touch a weight for a month but to be honest I don't want to have a layoff that long, it's been a week now since my appendectomy and around two weeks since i stopped training due to my shoulder. I am walking around decently and The biggest issue seems to be with one incision site which is irritated easily and hurts when I sit or do any sudden trunk rotations. This should clear up within a few more days I think.

I know I have to take it easy but I feel I can at least begin to start working out again on somethings. Lower body may be an issue at least with squats and deads but I think I can manage them If I go real easy, nothing heavy. Upper body can be worked at least to maintain muscle mass as best as possible.

I've already dropped to 147 from 160 over the last month and a half I think but my appetite has increased and I can tolerate food better so I think this will be a non-issue.

What would you guys recommend? Complete lay off or work some things as tolerable and if so what kind of things?
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Play it safe.

Definitely get some cycling or whatever else exercise in if you can as long as it doesn't hurt. Extra bloodflow will help speed up healing.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Brian DeGennaro

Take more than a month off from any serious stuff. I'm serious. I had my appendectomy a few years ago, bad idea to get back into actual running only a month after it too. Take the next few weeks off from everything for now, except some moderate activity like Steven said. Come back and treat yourself as an absolute beginner. You will gain everything back once you are fully healed.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Kevin Perry

ok, well I guess thats the best thing in the long wrong. In the mean time I can stick to random pushup practice and cycling and start cleaning up the diet a little.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
George Mounce

I had one when I was 14...ya you don't want to do much. Let it heal ALL THE WAY before you do anything big.

Stick to lighter movements. Think of it this way, would you go run sprints on a broken ankle before its healed?

Your abdominal wall is important to ALL movement. Let it rest!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Ryan Secor

A month to heal is not bad in the grand scheme of things. I had my spleen taken out about 4 years ago (which I think is basically like getting your appendix out except on the other side) and I'm pretty sure was back almost 100% healthy after a month... believe me 4 weeks of taking it easy/light isn't bad. I'm coming off of a massive ankle surgery right now and I completely slacked off training and ate terribly for about 4-5 months. In fact I'm shocked at how much strength I have coming back after doing absolutely nothing for that long.

All that to say - heal up and hit it hard once you do.
Ryan Secor is offline   Reply With Quote