Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 11-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #31
Mike Prevost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Mike,

Also, note this from Chapter 9 in "Strength and Power in Sport," which is edited by Paavo Komi. Chapter 9 is written by Walter Herzog and Rachid Ait-Haddou from the University of Calgary:
I wonder if Dr Herzog is familiar with some of the top leve triathletes? At Clearwater this year the top guys were riding 28mph for 56 miles, then running sub 6:00 pace for 13.1 miles off the bike.
Mike Prevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #32
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Prevost View Post
Have not read any of that stuff. I can see strength training modalities like jumping and sprinting being less of a problem than traditional squats. WHen I was training for Iornman, there was no way I could recover from any lower body strength training and still be able to put in quality sessions in the run and on the bike. I think most elite level endurance athletes would have the same problem. Why fatigue yourself with an exercise modality that has little specificity for your particular event? Besides, if I had an extra 30 minutes, that time was better spent on an extra run.

Most likely you didn't build up to the level of volume that you needed to train strength and endurance simultaneously. It takes a certain adaptation period to be able to follow up a heavy strength session with an endurance session, or vice versa. I never understood the more is better mantra except in base-building, in which case I could understand.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #33
Eric AUciello

Quote:
Donald

Have not read any of that stuff. I can see strength training modalities like jumping and sprinting being less of a problem than traditional squats. WHen I was training for Iornman, there was no way I could recover from any lower body strength training and still be able to put in quality sessions in the run and on the bike. I think most elite level endurance athletes would have the same problem. Why fatigue yourself with an exercise modality that has little specificity for your particular event? Besides, if I had an extra 30 minutes, that time was better spent on an extra run.

Stop and go sports like soccer, basketball, and football are different.
do you really mean...I love LSD... don't wast my time with actually studies/data/etc...

"if I had an extra 30 minutes, that time was better spent on an extra run." ...or you could have read some of the info that has been mentioned???
Eric AUciello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #34
Mike Prevost

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric AUciello View Post
do you really mean...I love LSD... don't wast my time with actually studies/data/etc...

"if I had an extra 30 minutes, that time was better spent on an extra run." ...or you could have read some of the info that has been mentioned???
Hi Eric. I would respond but I cannot figure out what you are saying. Maybe if you wrote actual sentences it would make more sense?

I am not a LSD/Maffetone fan. There is a place for LSD but LSD all the time is a waste and not optimal.
Mike Prevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #35
Jonathan Yoon

Quote:
Hi Eric. I would respond but I cannot figure out what you are saying. Maybe if you wrote actual sentences it would make more sense?

I am not a LSD/Maffetone fan. There is a place for LSD but LSD all the time is a waste and not optimal.
Maffetone's method does work, but it does that a very long time to top out your highest speed at a low HR. However, there have been plenty of other methods that have come out that are also effective. When I was using Maffetone's training methods, I was seeing my speed increase while my HR stayed low. But I also ran out of patience for it after several months and decided to give up being a slave to the HR monitor. After trying low-HR/low-intensity work, high-HR/high-intensity work, and everything in-between, I've found my body seems to be good with a mix of both low and high efforts.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote