Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Mike Prevost

Default Tabata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Why would you add tabata unless you had a specific purpose for it?

You can just as easily work high threshold motor units with heavy weights or acceleration.
Yes...what he said ^^^ ; )
Mike Prevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Jonathan Silverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Why would you add tabata unless you had a specific purpose for it?

You can just as easily work high threshold motor units with heavy weights or acceleration.
Good question. I tried looking for an answer for it on the internet, and here's what i found:

"The front squat might be the single best Tabata lift. Having said that, if you don't know how to front squat correctly, the Tabata method might teach you to lift better than a thousand coaches." By Dan John. t-nation
Jonathan Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Mike Prevost

Default Tabata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman View Post
Good question. I tried looking for an answer for it on the internet, and here's what i found:

"The front squat might be the single best Tabata lift. Having said that, if you don't know how to front squat correctly, the Tabata method might teach you to lift better than a thousand coaches." By Dan John. t-nation
Why the heck would you TABATA the front squat instead of just doing straight up sets?
Mike Prevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Jonathan Silverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Prevost View Post
Why the heck would you TABATA the front squat instead of just doing straight up sets?
i dk, but dan john says it again later in the article:
"Moreover, it seems to teach the body the proper method of squatting far easier than all the instruction in the world. "
Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Prevost View Post
For aerobic endurance and muscular endurance.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
For aerobic endurance and muscular endurance.
You mean low levels of aerobic endurance. There is nothing special about Tabata intervals. If someone thinks there is, I would like to know what it is that is so special about them.

If you want aerobic endurance, you can run or do some other proven method of developing aerobic endurance.

If you want muscular endurance, you can do density training or some other muscular endurance methods.

If basic fitness or just losing weight is your goal, then intervals such as Tabata could be used, but I really don't like the form degradation that occurs. The Tabata research was done on a stationary bike (I believe). A machine allows for form degradation, but running, weight lifting, etc. are not so kind with form degradation at high intensities.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
If you want aerobic endurance, you can run or do some other proven method of developing aerobic endurance.

If you want muscular endurance, you can do density training or some other muscular endurance methods.
You can also develop muscular endurance by doing a bunch of pullups, but that's obviously not the point of tabata front squats.

Some people actually want aerobic endurance and muscular endurance specifically for the front squat, or for some other movement. And as you pointed out earlier, specific adaptations require specific training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
A machine allows for form degradation, but running, weight lifting, etc. are not so kind with form degradation at high intensities.
And running a 800m time trial is high-intensity too, isn't it? Is that a bad idea because it could cause form breakdown?
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #18
Garrett Smith

Let us never forget, re: Tabata intervals, that the only time they've necessarily been demonstrated to give transferable improvements, was when they were done on a bike ergometer by speed skaters.

Assuming Tabata intervals are as beneficial in any other modality is just that, an assumption.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
Jonathan Silverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Let us never forget, re: Tabata intervals, that the only time they've necessarily been demonstrated to give transferable improvements, was when they were done on a bike ergometer by speed skaters.

Assuming Tabata intervals are as beneficial in any other modality is just that, an assumption.
hey

hey this is the conclusion at the end of dr. tabata's abstract:

In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power DOES NOT change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may IMPROVE BOTH anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #20
Garrett Smith

Jonathan,
I think you should have capitalized the "MAY", which implies an assumption at best.

Are there any studies of Tabata intervals using different athletes and different modalities?

I can guess that there are absolutely no studies on using calisthenic exercises for Tabata intervals...except for Gant's, that is.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote