Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
Jay Ashman

When I used to be a bigger puller in the early 2000's I relied exclusively on the sumo stance myself.

you are right, Martin, about the load on the legs with sumo. Its a much more leg and hip oriented pull than conventional, and it used to work well for me.

And RDL's rule, I do them myself. Love them...

Dave, I haven't done deficit work since those days at all, makes me think I should try it again and see how it helps me. I really want to get back above 600# again.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Arden Cogar Jr.

From an absolute stand point, I believe i could likely pull more conventional than sumo, but I've never tried to pull those types of weights conventional. Getting too old to find out actually. Perhaps my best days of "ego weights" are behind me? If so, it's been a great ride.

But from a rep stand point, sumo pulls are much easier to bang out for extended sets (5+). At least for me.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Leslie Poole

Last night, I was still mulling over the sumo stance, and found this- http://www.elitefts.com/documents/de...o_deadlift.htm.

If I understand everything correctly, sumo stance allows or forces more leg, and a conventional stance moves more of the load to the low back (initially) which works if you have longer levers. Did I get that or am I way off?
Leslie Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Poole View Post
Last night, I was still mulling over the sumo stance, and found this- http://www.elitefts.com/documents/de...o_deadlift.htm.

If I understand everything correctly, sumo stance allows or forces more leg, and a conventional stance moves more of the load to the low back (initially) which works if you have longer levers. Did I get that or am I way off?

I would say, generally, that is correct. The placement of the load (relative to the body as described in your post) is more about hip position and leg drive. In essence, Higher hips, more load on hips and back; Lower hips, more load on hips and legs.

I am a very leggy puller. I start with my hips low when I pull conventional. But when I convert to sumo, my hip position is relatively the same height. To be frank, I feel very little in my lower back when I pull sumo - it's all hips and legs for me. I only feel the real back engagement when I lock out at the top.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Arden, how tall are you? I'm 6'1" and much better conventional puller than sumo....I think, although never really worked the sumo into a steady program to test progression. Judging by the size of my butt from hockey, I should be able to pull more sumo with enough practice me thinks.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Arden, how tall are you?
5'10.5" in stocking feet. But I'm very long armed and short legged (76" from fingertip to fingertip and a whopping 30" inseam). I was made for pulling, woodchopping, and hanging from s*it for prolonged period of times. I joke, but I'm very simian in build. I thank my parents for that curse.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Arden, how tall are you? I'm 6'1" and much better conventional puller than sumo....I think, although never really worked the sumo into a steady program to test progression. Judging by the size of my butt from hockey, I should be able to pull more sumo with enough practice me thinks.
I would gather that most folk with longer limbs, and strong legs and hips, would benefit from pulling sumo from an absolute stand point. Simply put, the distance of the bar path is less. It just makes sense.

To be honest, I deadlift once a week. I alternate pulling conventional and sumo from week to week. It works for me. Provides a different stimulus and keeps me excited about going into the sessions. Last week was suppossed to be crazy high rep heavy weight sumo pulls but I ended up straining something on my last warm up (535lbs). This week, I'll pull conventional but likely will not go any heavier than 200 kilos.

Now, I must digress. I "deadlift" once a week. My current program has me:
Day one - power snatch, OHS, Back Squat, Snatch Pulls, 4 board, abs
Day two - power clean, push press, front squat, clean pulls, 2 board, abs
Day three - snatch, clean and jerk, back squat, deadlift, ring push ups, abs

So technically, I'm pulling every other day. Just with no where near optimal weights except once every few weeks.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
5'10.5" in stocking feet. But I'm very long armed and short legged (76" from fingertip to fingertip and a whopping 30" inseam). I was made for pulling, woodchopping, and hanging from s*it for prolonged period of times. I joke, but I'm very simian in build. I thank my parents for that curse.

All the best,
Arden
I'm 6'1" with longer legs and shorter arms...not really built for pulling (probably more with my back than hips)...judging by past experience I am apparently made for playing some hockey and beer drinking....but now have an amateur love for picking up heavy stuff in my later years. Has provided a new love of training once again after getting burned out from all the years working as a trainer in a gym.

Only wish someone told me to ditch the machines and lift stuff off the ground when I was in high school.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Derek Simonds

I have been playing with my conventional stance. I tried to sit back into it more like Arden does. That puts more on your legs and hips if I understand it correctly. It did not work for me. I have switched back to a higher hip start. I also have simian arms at 80 inches fingertip to fingertip.

I love DL'ing and love thinking about it.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Brian Stone

I'm 6'3" and very long limbed (arms and legs). I haven't really tinkered much with the sumo stance, but if I drop my hips low in a heavy DL it puts a lot of strain on my knees vs. the high-hip position. The latter generally feels much cleaner to me, although a trainer at the gym recently told me my knees "must" be bent past 45 degrees.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote