Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Ryan Secor

Default Omeprazole given for ankle recovery?

I'm not sure if this belongs in this section... if not, mods feel free to move it...

I'm about 6 months post surgery for my ankle. I went to the doctor's today and they prescribed me a new supply of anti-inflammatories (naproxen sodium) that I never take and something else called Omeprazole. I did a quick google search and found it was similar to prisiloc and is a proton-pump inhibitor intended to block stomach acid secretion for treatment of ulcers and acid-reflux. I've never had ulcers/acid-reflux or anything similar to it, and I'm not really sure why this was prescribed to me and whether I should even take it.

I thought at first that maybe the doctor gave it to me for fat-loss because I was joking around about how I'm trying to drop the fat I gained from not working out and eating crap the last 6 months, but from my internet reading I haven't come across it being used as a fat-loss tool (unless I'm missing something).

Anyone know anything about this and whether it's worth taking? I generally don't take many (read any) prescription medicines as I'm a pretty big fan of the body fixing itself through rest, exercise, and diet.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

I have no idea why they gave you that...if you don't need it for GERD, I can't understand why you would need to take it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Prilosec is omeprazole. Omeprazole is the generic name. Anti inflammatories can be hard on the stomach. He likely gave it to you to help offset the potential discomfort.

Note: this isn't professional advice
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yep, Omeprazole helps block the side effects of strong anti-inflams basically the way Derek is describing.

If it were me I would just take fish oil which has actual HEALTHY side effects and is an anti-inflammatory. Only thing you need to really worry about is the anti-coagulent nature so take enough vitamin K.

Then again, I'm not a doc and don't have pharmaceutical companies breathing down my neck to prescribe their products when you can just recommend fish oil instead...

I also find it funny we still can't build compounds better than nature....

Fish oil is cheap as long as you don't get the prescription fish oil (lovaza). *facepalm* on that one...

Last edited by Steven Low : 01-04-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Ryan Secor

Thanks for the info - that all makes sense. The nurse literally chased me down in the hall and handed me a bag with it in there as I was leaving... and I had no idea what it was.

Steven - aside from vicodin the day of and a day or two after surgery, I haven't taken anything except fish oil (in the neighborhood of 10-15ish grams a day - I weigh around 230#) and it's been working wonderfully. Not only was my recovery faster than anticipated, but (aside from the bad weight gain - from my poor diet, drinking, and sitting on my butt all day) I haven't had many adverse performance effects in terms of strength (metabolic conditioning is another story - but that's my fault).

Thanks again everyone for your help.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Ryan Secor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Only thing you need to really worry about is the anti-coagulent nature so take enough vitamin K.
One more follow-up question on this (maybe this is better for another thread), but I've always been told that as a LEO I shouldn't be taking fish oil because of that anti-coagulent nature. That's understandable because our two biggest lethal threats are probably getting shot/stabbed (semi-unlikely) and traffic collisions (virtually guaranteed several times to each leo with my agency - though in varying seriousness). Is this sound advice?

I've so far shrugged that advice off, since I figure I'm almost certain to face issues that fish oil addresses (joint issues, cardiovascular disease, etc, etc) whereas the odds of actually being shot are pretty low (knock on wood). I suppose I'm kinda taking my life in my hands with the car crashes, but I kinda doubt (I hope I'm right) that I'll sustain an injury that could/would cause me to bleed out. I'd estimate 5-10x (and it could be higher or lower - I'm just estimating) more officers die each year from issues fish oil addresses than from being shot.... and furthermore generally speaking a alarmingly high percentage of leo's (at least with my agency) tend to die within several years of retirement from a various assortment of diseases (most addressable with fish oil). I'd prefer to not die anytime soon, but at the same time I'd like to mantain a good quality of life (i.e. good health) and I'd not like to work 25 more years and predictably drop dead the day I retire.

Personally, while I've been post-surgery and not in the streets I've been doing higher-dose fish oil for recovery purposes. Once I'm back working I was thinking of just tapering down to 5g/day of fish oil and just start eating grass-fed meat (plus a lower-carb paleo type diet) to hopefully avoid a pressing need for a high-dose fish oil regime.

Thoughts on that topic? Would sufficient Vitamin K acceptably offset those anti-coagulant properties? Any suggestions for guidelines on fish oil/Vitamin K for LEO/MIL people?

(If anyone thinks this should be an individual thread, feel free to copy and paste)
Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Prilosec is omeprazole. Omeprazole is the generic name. Anti inflammatories can be hard on the stomach. He likely gave it to you to help offset the potential discomfort.

Note: this isn't professional advice
Wow. This is a double whammy in the wrong direction...my line of thinking is so far removed from this type of thing I couldn't even fathom it.

So it used to be, use one drug, eventually have side effects...then get a second drug for the side effects later.

Now it's give two drugs right off the bat?!?

So, guessing that they gave you a COX-2 inhibitor for the pain, which can cause:
http://www.medicinenet.com/cox-2_inhibitors/page2.htm
Quote:
COX-2 inhibitors may increase the risk of serious, even fatal stomach and intestinal adverse reactions, such as ulcers, bleeding, and perforation of the stomach or intestines but to a lesser extent than other nonselective NSAIDs that block both COX-1 and COX-2. These events can occur at any time during treatment and without warning symptoms.
They then gave you a proton pump inhibitor to slow/stop your stomach acid production. This will not necessarily stop what the COX-2 inhibitors are doing to your stomach lining in the first place (that is its own separate mechanism), it will simply reduce the possibility of compounded damage of stomach acid on the damaged parts. It will also pretty much guarantee that you won't absorb your B12, minerals, or protein well from your food, all things that are pretty crucial to proper & quick healing.

You may not heal well (which is hard to "measure" in the first place), but at least you won't have heartburn and be upset at your doctor! Jeez.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah Garrett... no one ever said it was smart but that's what they do. Use other drugs to try to take the side effects off other drugs. Because the drug that's superior to them all can't be patented.

Ryan,

As far as I know vitamin K can offset the anti-coagulent properties of fish oil completely since vitamin K is a cofactor to thrombin (and an antagonist of warfarin blood thinning agent like fish oil, heparin, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K#Biochemistry

You want about 3-5g of EPA+DHA per day. That's the omegas 3s in the fish oil that you want. Just capsules (if they're 1g) aren't gonna cut it.

If you're taking the .5g EPA+DHA per 10 lbs of body mass (via Robb Wolf if you're really jacked up with inflammatory issues) then I would definitely say you need VitK, but I'm not sure you need it with 3-5g per day. It depends on the individual though. Just eat a crapton of brocolli or take a supplement of vitamin K.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

I'm using Vitamin K with nearly all of my patients now.

Here's what I use:
http://www.allergyresearchgroup.com/...umk_color1.pdf

It has been said that "Vitamin K will be the next Vitamin D" in terms of what the research is bearing out regarding the health benefits.

Vitamin K may also be the antidote for much of the nightshades' toxic effects on the body in regards to arthritis...more on that later.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
Ryan Secor

Quote:
I'm not a doc and don't have pharmaceutical companies breathing down my neck to prescribe their products when you can just recommend fish oil instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Wow. This is a double whammy in the wrong direction...my line of thinking is so far removed from this type of thing I couldn't even fathom it. It used to be use one drug, eventually have side effects...then get a second drug for the side effects later.

Now it's give two drugs right off the bat?!?
Quote:
Use other drugs to try to take the side effects off other drugs. Because the drug that's superior to them all can't be patented.
Wow - just in the last several years have I been increasingly exposed and made aware to this insanity. In fact (just like with this surgery) I simply don't take prescriptions any more (now I'm really glad I never did with this surgery) and I rarely visit the doctor (only in case of major injury). My wife and I were talking about it and modern doctors are basically pharmacists more than anything and they generally have $$$'s best interest in mind. I mean if you really think about it the medical industry (just like many other industries) is a metaphorical Judas in that they're essentially betraying our lives for $. What Steve said really drives it home too -- I mean I think it's somewhat humorous (and really sad) that pharma is pushing him to sell their product. All this is one of the many reasons I've taken such a fierce interest in health (broadly speaking) and human performance --- because the only one that can and will really take care of me and ensure quality of life through physical health/performance is me. I mean it really seems to me that reality now is how Wiley puts it Lights Out... only the paranoid survive.

Quote:
You want about 3-5g of EPA+DHA per day. That's the omegas 3s in the fish oil that you want. Just capsules (if they're 1g) aren't gonna cut it.
Roger that. I've been doing 10-15g of EPA/DHA daily and am currently just using Carlsons liquid fish oil (used to do Kirkland until they diluted their product).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
It has been said that "Vitamin K will be the next Vitamin D" in terms of what the research is bearing out regarding the health benefits.

Vitamin K may also be the antidote for much of the nightshades' toxic effects on the body in regards to arthritis...more on that later.
Cool - thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to check it out and probably start supplementing it. I'll be looking for "more on that later"