Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Adolfo Riveron

Default Training after little sleep

As of the last few months i have been getting a good 7.5-9 hours of sleep a night with no problem.

Last night, however, i struggled to fall asleep and got about 4.5-5 hours of sleep. With sleep being as important as it is, shoud I:

a. can todays workout
b. go as hard as my body will let me
c. lift but dont push myself as hard as I can

Im following CA programming from a few weeks back and todays workout calls for max snatch, clean and jerk, and deadlift.

I dont feel awesome but at the same time i dont feel that bad. I want to know how you guys usually approach this. Im leaning on just going for it at full intensity anyways, but if its not smart ill back off.

Thanks
Adolfo Riveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

i say b.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

One night of less sleep won't mess you up too badly, you'll make it up in the next few nights.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Adolfo Riveron

Thanks guys. Im just gonna go for it.
Adolfo Riveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolfo Riveron View Post
Thanks guys. Im just gonna go for it.
your low sleep is my average. read the vitramin d thread. follwing those advices really has helped me. sicen vit. d, what sleep i get leaves me feeling more rested.

also, don't underestimate your ability to suck it up and adapt. i slept very little over the last week and a half and was up for about 20 hours before a meet thsi last Saturday. felt like warm trash but I still pulled a lifetime PR in the deadlift.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
your low sleep is my average. read the vitramin d thread. follwing those advices really has helped me. sicen vit. d, what sleep i get leaves me feeling more rested.

also, don't underestimate your ability to suck it up and adapt. i slept very little over the last week and a half and was up for about 20 hours before a meet thsi last Saturday. felt like warm trash but I still pulled a lifetime PR in the deadlift.
I have the absolute same problem as Dave. Average about 4 to 5 hours a night. Every so often I'll take some sleep aids and get around 7 to 8. Sometimes, my body will go 10 hours and get caught up, but for the most part I don't sleep much.

I have to take a sleep aid the night before my contests to insure that I'm rested. But I've grown accustomed to training on very little sleep.

Definitely b as above. Listen to your body. Don't bag it. Just listen.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
I still pulled a lifetime PR in the deadlift.
Don't mean to Highjack the thread, but what did you pull this past weekend Dave? PR - Sweet.
All the best,
ARden
Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Dave Van Skike

just a little north of 600... which was all that was needed. My training partner put up a damn deadlift board at the gym and I was lost over in the 500 column. eagerly awaiting an Ambien prescription so i can get to work on the 700 column.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
just a little north of 600... which was all that was needed. My training partner put up a damn deadlift board at the gym and I was lost over in the 500 column. eagerly awaiting an Ambien prescription so i can get to work on the 700 column.

Well freakin done!!!!!

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Well freakin done!!!!!

All the best,
Arden

to continue this most brutal thread hijack....(maybe there's a tie in somewhere..)

one thing I think that really helped me move past some bumps along the way is embracing repetition work.

Arden, you've spoken of as you get older or more into a competetion season, that you've moved away from max singles and more towards heavy repetition work. seeign this and also reading articles and books by J. Wendler really helped me try a different approach. While I'm pleased with recent progress on singles in some lifts, just as important to me are the milestones that got me most of the way. 500x5, 545x3 565x2. looking forward, 606x3 is part of the path to 666x1.

here's the tie in....if youre too cashed for a big single or double, don't be afraid to take weight off the bar hit just one all out set or a set of 10. cutting yourself some slack when you're beat doesn't have to mean totally resting.