Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Arden Cogar Jr.

Thanks so much for the kind words Duke.

I love my silly hobby. So much of what we do in our everyday lives is so sedentary. Most of us on here are serious about our fitness, but there's just something about physical labor that is the most rewarding met-con. If that makes any sense?

My event training is great fitness. But the wood gathering and "wood runs" as I call them are almost debilitating. I had envisioned chopping when I got home from a wood run last night, but it was all I could do to stagger into the house, shower, eat and collapse on the couch beside my ailing wife and incredibly supportive grey bearded black lab.

Nothing like a good bit of hard physical work to make one feel human. Enjoyable. Rewarding. And fun in a sick sadistic way.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke McCall View Post
Arden,

I saw you on TV over the holidays. Did one of those: "Hey, I know that guy" double-takes. I was impressed. I do not follow timbersports very closely, but I enjoy watching them almost as much as I enjoy cutting and splitting my own firewood.

Keep up the good work.

Duke
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
sarena kopciel

Glad you are feeling better Arden.
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
Glad you are feeling better Arden.
Thanks Sarena. You and me both. I'm slowly returning to myself. Slowly.

All the best,
ARden
Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #14
Derek Simonds

Glad to see you are back in the land of the living. Pneumonia is nothing to play around with.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #15
Arden Cogar Jr.

Thanks Derek, the complicating thing for me is that I have asthma. Once it gets into my lungs, whoa, forced down time. And I readily accepted it this time.

1.12.10 p.m. - went to Firebreather Fitness and coached 7 folk on some finer points with barbell snatching. Had an absolutely fantastic time. I must have snatched 95 and 135 around 40 or 50 times demonstrating stuff - and it didn't hurt at all! A lot of fun for me. I'm looking forward to doing this twice a week.

1.13.10 Had a really cool session last night with Kiara (my 12 year old). I got her some Pendlay Do-Wins for Christmas and she took them on her maiden voyage. I did some very low volume event work while she lifted - my lungs are almost healed, yeah!!!!. She did some front squats, back squats, clean and jerks, split snatches, and pull ups. Then she spent about 10 mintues beating the crap out of softball on her hit around. Very proud papa.

I know we need to work on her rack position and a lot of finer points, but I'm simply tickled to death she's taking an interest. I try not to coach her to much, because she gets a bit frustrated with me. So I do my best to keep her tight, right, and free from injury. Hence, she's using play weights until she gets a bit more serious. That said, she was easily deadlifting 60 kilos for sets of 5 at the end of the session. That's something I reckon she gets pretty honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwicT3fICX8

all the best,
Arden
Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Arden Cogar Jr.

1.14.10 Beefcake was epic. Lungs are finally good. I feel almost 100%. Just a bit stuffed up in the head, but otherwise good.

Started with yoga and roller.

Then did box cleans. Went 40x3, 70x3, 100x3, 120x3, 125x3, 130x3, 135x3. Was pretty pleased that I got the weights, but I was cutting some of the pulls short.

Then did some clean drills. Went 70x2, 100x2, 110x2, 120x2 - and just gotta love the 2nd rep with the 120. She was epic.

Then did push presses, Freakin gettin strong on these for some reason. Went 40x5, 70x5, 100x5, 110x5 (which was a PR), 120x4.75 (which was another PR),

Then did front squats. 135lbx3, 225lbx3, 275lbx3, 295lbx3, 315lbx3 - which was hard. Likely because of all the cleans previously.

Then did clean pulls. went 120x3, 165x3x2.

Then did 2 board: went 135x10, 225x5, 275x4, 275x10.
Then abs, more yoga and roller.

GPP for tonight - cleaning for time.

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJH0CJG2f-w
Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
Arden Cogar Jr.

oh wow, hard weekend of event training with some good friends.

1.15.10 - Lots of event work. High volume. Good intensity. Worked on it until 4:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. Just highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzXNiFXRrvE

1.16.10 - more event work. High volume. Good intensity. Lots of hits and strokes. Just highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gr8BO-c7Q

Completely wasted on 1.17.10, but took a nap, watched football, then went over to the barn for some deloading.

Went sntach - 20x3, 40x3, 70x3, 75x3, 75x3
Clean - 70x3, 100x3, 100x3, 100x3
Press - 40x5, 70x3x5
Squat - 135x5x5
Sumo Deadlift 70x5, 120x5, 170x5
Push ups 3x20
Abs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EGFDQiqtOA

Soooo looking forward to deloading week. Tons of event work really did a number on me.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #18
Arden Cogar Jr.

yoga and roller after work. Thinking about finishing my first pull in the snatch. Hope I'm closer now. I freeze framed some of these lifts and I think I'm getting closer to a better first pull. I think?

started with box snatch. Went 20x3, 40x3, 60x3, 75x3x5.
Then did tall box snatch. Went 40x2, 60x2, 75x2, 75x2
Then did OHS. Went 75kgx5x5
Then did back squat. Went 135lbx5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5, 315x5
Then did snatch pulls. went 100x3, 120x3x3
Then did 4 board: 135x10, 225x5, 315x5x3
Then did abs.

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVhTGPpOKs

Good session as the wife trained with me. I loved it.

all the best,
Arden
Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
Emily Mattes

Arden, I could be crazy here, but I think your weight is moving prematurely onto your toes when you're pulling from the boxes and that may be why you have a tendency to jump forward sometimes.

Maybe?

Watching your event work is kick-ass. You were working out until 4:00am? I thought you old guys needed your sleep!
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #20
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Arden, I could be crazy here, but I think your weight is moving prematurely onto your toes when you're pulling from the boxes and that may be why you have a tendency to jump forward sometimes.

Maybe?

Watching your event work is kick-ass. You were working out until 4:00am? I thought you old guys needed your sleep!
Emily,
Yes, that is my fundamental problem with my pulls right now. I've got to find a way to get onto my heels!!!! Thanks for noticing, just gotta find a way to get the weight onto my heels for that first pull and I'll hopefully be closer to not sucking as much.

And old guys event training at 4 a.m. is just silly. I felt it for two days afterwards.

All the best,
Arden