Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Gabe Rinaldi

Default help with hand injury

On 12/7 my right palm got a bit swollen and black and blue a few minutes after finishing barbell jerks from the rack. I've had a few ruptured blood vessels in my fingers over the years for whatever reason and felt like this could have been the same issue only in my palm. I iced it and it felt a lot better the next day. I avoided exercises that would stress the area for a few days. Looking back through my training log the exact issue has come back several times these past few weeks. The cycle is that it goes away completely and I forget about it, then it comes back quickly doing some sort of exercise. It gets black and blue within minutes and swells up slightly. I ice it and within an hour or so the pain is about a 1 out of 10. When it first comes on it is fairly painful. It has become a real pain because it takes away from the training that I want to do. Any idea what this is and what I can do to get rid of it once and for all? Thanks!
Gabe Rinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What exercises does it appear on? Is it always the same one?

Just jerks?

It's likely you may have a technique issue if that's the case...
Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Gabe Rinaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
What exercises does it appear on? Is it always the same one?

Just jerks?

It's likely you may have a technique issue if that's the case...

On the first day it happened (12/7) I was using iron plates at a commercial gym so I was forced to lower the barbell instead of dropping it. I hadn't done jerks in quite some time. My last set was 215 lbs and I'm guessing my palm took too much of the load instead of my shoulders on the way down. I didn't notice it until I was finished. On subsequent workouts it happened again doing push presses, warming up for C&J, in the middle of a workout when I pinch gripped a 45lb plate to load a bar, and after doing bear crawls. I personally don't think it's a technique issue, but I'm not sure what I can do to quickly prevent it from coming back. It feels completely healed after a couple days, then it comes on quickly and starts the cycle over....very frustrating.
Gabe Rinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Gittit Shwartz

Maybe get it looked at. Stress fractures of the metacarpals are rare but possible...