Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Arden Cogar Jr.

Jason,
I compete in Lumberjack Sports, not highland games, but I intermingle my event training with my gym work. Given that I'm concentrating on explosion and maintaining as much strength as I can (if not improving), I do the traditional power lifting movemetns after I do the explosive movemetns. Like you, my main focus is becoming more explosive and quick for my sport.

My current template is
Day 1- Block Power Snatch, Overhead Squat, Back Squat, Snatch Pulls, 4 board, abs
Day 2 - event train
Day 3 - Block Squat Clean, Push Press, Front Squat, Clean Pulls, 2 board, abs
Day 4 - event train
Day 5 - snatch, clean and jerk, back squat, deadlift, ring push ups,abs
Day 6 - rest or event work
Day 7 event work or rest or resume Day 1.

I've committed to increasing my front squat, so I've dropped the back squats in favor of front squats (Day 1 - 5 sets 3 75%, Day 3 - heavy heavy 1/4s and 1/2s Day 5 - 5,4,3,2,1 with the 1 ranging from 85% to 95% depending upon my wave % for that week). My Coach has me waving my weights between 70% and 90%, but never higher than 90% as there's no need. There's no need because the real focus is the event work. I can back squat in the 6s and my front squat is in the low to mid 4s. I think that's off, so I'm going to front squat more.

I slept funny on my left shoulder on Monday night and I can't do overheads this week, I'm so pissed. I had hoped to set a PR based upon my last workout that was really strong.

How much do you weigh? That 365 OHS is ungodly. I know that Mario Lopez once OHS 212kgs after Krastev set the WR Snatch back in the 80s. That 365 is not far from it. Holy crap.

Hope that helps a bit?

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #12
Jason Brown

Arden,
Thanks for the information. My post-holidays weight is hovering around 300. I was pleasantly surprised with my PR for overhead squat as I have never tried to max out on that before. Up until a few weeks ago my record was 275 for 5. I did a 3 week cycle of max effort work and it shot up tremendously. I posted a video of it on my training blog.
Jason Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Arden Cogar Jr.

Very impressive!!! Love it. Nice and deep too.

How tall are you? I'm guessing about my height - 5'11"? Thick as a brick too. Lots of heavy weights in your back ground. That will serve you well.

I am finally getting comfortable with those kind of weights overhead. I was stuck on 145 kilos for ever until I did for a triple last week.

I've found that the secret to learning how to handle heavier weights is by handling heavier weights.

But to answer your original question on this thread, I would like to see you do some form of dynamic movement at the beginning of every gym session. It will help with the explosive power you're wanting to generate for HG. Even if it's just power cleans and power snatches. No need to do the full movements given your goal, IMO. However it would be sweet to see what you could snatch. I gotta be frank, with that OHS and some serious coaching you could probably get close the American snatch record for the 105+. That was impressive.

Good luck and go heavy.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
Arden,
Thanks for the information. My post-holidays weight is hovering around 300. I was pleasantly surprised with my PR for overhead squat as I have never tried to max out on that before. Up until a few weeks ago my record was 275 for 5. I did a 3 week cycle of max effort work and it shot up tremendously. I posted a video of it on my training blog.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Jason Brown

Arden,
I am doing some dynamic effort stuff every workout (presses, bench, or box squat)
for speed strength. I am thinking adding some technique ( full clean and jerks and full snatches) reps into my warm up. My sport interest being divided between powerlifting and the highland events, I don't want to take away too much from my slow lifts.

Again thanks for the help,
Jason
BTW. I am 6'1"
Jason Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Arden Cogar Jr.

Jason,
Sorry, I mispoke. My apologies.

I consider the power cleans and power snatches to be dynamic movements. They have to be performed explosively (maximum speed) or they are useless. They also need to be performed at the very beginning of each session when you are your freshest.

I know that Louie and others have dynamic effort speed days with the exercises that you mention, but those movements aren't necessarily optimally performed at maximum speed. For example, yes you can bench press 500, but you are not going to move the barbell as fast as you would if your were moving 200.

With the cleans and the snatches, optimal speed must be attained when you get near optimal weights (240snatch/300+ clean) for you. Otherwise, you don't get the weight and no amount of strength is going to get it up. Some muscle snatches or muscle cleans can be performed by us "retard strong" folk, but even that has it's limits. As an asside, but highly related, My Coach is happy to see me moving weights I can't curl.

The inclusion of dynamic events (power clean and power snatch) would not take away form your power movements because the weights you would be moving would likely be 1/3 to 1/2 of what you can deadlift. That's a warm up.

That's the reason my sessions go from dynamic movement to absolute strength movements.

Again, my personal opinion is that you would not be properly served in including full squat cleans and full squat snatches into your training if your focus is powerlifting and highland games. The technical nuances of getting good at those movements requires countless #'s of repetitions and exposures to certain weights. Given that you only plan to do them one day a week, it really is not enough exposure to become technically proficient in those movements. I speak to that fact as I struggle with technique now that I'm nearing my limits in performing the movements based upon my physcial strength. Yes, they would, and are, fun to perform and move big weights, but given your goals, it doesn't add up. I've considered dumping them from my own training regiment, but given tht my sport is predicated upon timing and flawless execution, I decided to stay the course in order to maximize my own body mechanics. My thought was I needed to use my body in the most appropriate manner in order to put as much force behind the axe head as I could; the speed element comes into play when getting the axe out of the wood. The same holds true with the Olympic lifts in as much as you apply maximal force on the way up to get the bar off the ground, then maximal speed to get under the barbell to recieve it.

Force/Speed/Timing between the two.

Powerlifting is about maximal force - no speed. HG events have some events that are maximal strength like strongman. But some of the throwing events require the application as i've depicted it above.

personally, I would evaluate your events in HG - see which ones you are weak at, and train them more. If there is a relationship between Force/Speed then consider more gym movements that may have carryover to what you are requiring. (For example weight for height and throwing - power cleans and power snatches are perfect examples of exercises with dramatic carry over).

Just my thoughts and opinions.

all the best,
Arden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
Arden,
I am doing some dynamic effort stuff every workout (presses, bench, or box squat)
for speed strength. I am thinking adding some technique ( full clean and jerks and full snatches) reps into my warm up. My sport interest being divided between powerlifting and the highland events, I don't want to take away too much from my slow lifts.

Again thanks for the help,
Jason
BTW. I am 6'1"