Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
I'm pretty sure I've read DeFranco commenting on the correlation between insertion points of the calves (gastrocs I would assume) and the quality of one's vertical ie he could predict how good a jumper someone was.

That's obviously a matter of leverage rather than size and training isn't going to fix it.
This is in the same article I linked earlier following the 70% comment; I just didn't include it in my original quote.

Quote:
There is another very interesting factor that plays a large role in how high you can jump. I’ve had the pleasure of working with over 2-dozen athletes who can jump over 35” and, besides being very strong in the posterior chain, they had something else in common. The one thing they all had in common are what I call “high cut” calves. What I mean by this is that the calves have an insertion point very high on the lower leg. This usually means a longer Achilles tendon. A longer Achilles tendon can store more elastic energy, which translates into more explosive jumps.

Think about this; have you ever seen a kangaroo with big calves? Of course not! The reason they can jump so well lies in the length of their Achilles tendons. Kangaroos have the longest Achilles tendon of any animal on earth. They also spring off the ground better than any other animal on earth. Unfortunately, you can’t increase the length of your Achilles tendon – it’s genetic. You have your parents to thank for that.
It's a factor but also completely genetically determined and thus isn't something on which an athlete can dedicate effort.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote