Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #51
Jared Buffie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Default

Herd immunity at it's finest....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/11/mumps.outbreak/
Jared Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #52
Thomas Campitelli
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Buffie View Post
If I had to choose between a 100% chance of getting mumps and a 15% chance of getting mumps, I'd take the 15% every time.
Thomas Campitelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #53
Brian Stone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, CT
Posts: 502
Default

From that article:

Quote:
Health officials note that lack of vaccination is not to blame in this mumps outbreak, which is the largest since 2006, when 6,584 were in an outbreak that originated on a college campus.

"This is a well-vaccinated community," said Zucker from New York City's health department.

But the vaccine isn't 100 percent effective. Vanderbilt University's Dr. William Schaffner, who also is president-elect of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, says studies have shown that the mumps vaccine is about 85 percent effective.
They also seemed to fail to give us the fatality rate.


Edit: To be fair, adding the following counter-quote
Quote:
The CDC notes in the weekly report that this outbreak shows that mumps can occur in highly vaccinated populations. However, Schaffner added that the mumps vaccine "is not perfect but considerably effective, and if someone gets the mumps even though they've been immunized, the symptoms will be milder."
__________________
"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." —Henry Van Dyke

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #54
Jared Buffie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Campitelli View Post
If I had to choose between a 100% chance of getting mumps and a 15% chance of getting mumps, I'd take the 15% every time.
I'm certain he's referring to a relative risk reduction, not an absolute risk reduction. In other words, even a nonvaccinated person does not have a 100% chance of getting the mumps. For example (pulling numbers from my arse for illustration sake), a nonvaccinated person has a .1% chance of getting mumps, whereas a vaccinated person may have a .015% chance - so you're injecting all those toxins for an absolute risk reduction of .085%.

I'll take the otherwise minute chance of contracting a nonfatal disease while keeping those toxic ingredients out of my body. But I respect your choice, as well.
Jared Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #55
Brandon Oto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Buffie View Post
I'm certain he's referring to a relative risk reduction, not an absolute risk reduction. In other words, even a nonvaccinated person does not have a 100% chance of getting the mumps. For example (pulling numbers from my arse for illustration sake), a nonvaccinated person has a .1% chance of getting mumps, whereas a vaccinated person may have a .015% chance - so you're injecting all those toxins for an absolute risk reduction of .085%.

I'll take the otherwise minute chance of contracting a nonfatal disease while keeping those toxic ingredients out of my body. But I respect your choice, as well.
Your arse is a poor place to get numbers from.

The odds of a nonvaccinated person getting the mumps depends on whether everyone else is vaccinating or not. Before mass vaccination began in 1967, "estimates on infection rates var[ied] by subgroup from 100 to 6,000 per 100,000." This is an annual rate; the odds of you getting the mumps in your LIFETIME were nearly 100%. Nowadays, rates are around 30 per 100,000, as vaccination has made the bug no longer endemic in this country.

The odds of a vaccinated person getting the mumps depends on the strain used. The current version seems to see around 90% success rate with proper scheduling, although there seems to be some evidence that both natural nor vaccinated immunity may not be lifelong. Your odds are therefore around 10%, times either of the above rates, depending on whether or not you're willing to take advantage of everyone else's immunity in your hypothetical world.

I'll let you look at percentages on the varying severities of symptoms on your own.

All data from http://degreesofclarity.com/writing/mmr/
__________________
Log | AGT template | Website | Stats and videos
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #56
Jared Buffie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Your arse is a poor place to get numbers from.
True, but only marginally worse than comparing two cohorts 40 years apart.
Jared Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #57
Brandon Oto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Buffie View Post
True, but only marginally worse than comparing two cohorts 40 years apart.
Nope. But that was fun!
__________________
Log | AGT template | Website | Stats and videos
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator