Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Eric Deangelis

Default BJJ - again

I have been really been trying to find a good S&C program to augment my Jits program. From my other posts you can see I have been exp. with CF,CF Football, and even SealFit. Based off a reply from Robb Wolf and experience I am going with the following program...

M: BJJ

T: WU (Gants hybrid WU)
Press
Back Squat
Heavy Met-con (max 5 min)
Gants Cool Down (Reverse Hypers, KB windmills, Turkish Get Ups, 20 min Yoga)

W: BJJ

Th: WU (Gants hybrid WU)
Weighted Pull Up
Dead Lift
Heavy Met-con (max 5 min)
Gants Cool Down (Reverse Hypers, KB windmills, Turkish Get Ups, 20 min Yoga)

Fri: 2 hours open mat (all rolling, 7 min matches...GREAT conditioning)

Sat: endurance...I.E.: Fight Gone Bad, Murph, Hill Sprints, LSD, etc

Sun: 1 hour yoga session

Hows it look?
Eric Deangelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Joe Hart

I beleive Anton Emery has an article on PM that is good. It is BJJ S&C focused. there is also the RUT Grappling MEBB program. Something to think about atleast.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Greg Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hart View Post
there is also the RUT Grappling MEBB program.
Any details? No success from quick googling.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Greg, I think it's in the P-menu from a while ago. Take a look in the store.

If you really want endurance on Saturday you may want to make it either LSD or a tempo run of sorts. I wouldn't pile another tough metabolic conditioning workout on top of that workload.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Anton Emery

I think that looks fine, my only thought would be perhaps take a whole day off. Or is the Sunday 1 hour yoga session light enough to be an off day?

I see on Sat you have endurance listed, like FGB, Murph, LSD, etc. To me those are all very different things, FGB or Murph would leave me very sore, whereas an LSD or Tempo run probably not so much. But thats just me.

I find S&C for BJJ or MMA to be a tricky thing. So many individual variables, depending on the person. I am an average blue belt. There are guys that come into the gym, big, strong, athletic dudes with backgrounds in other sports. Within a year they are giving me hell and can tap me. So i think, damn, i need to get bigger and stronger. Then I'll roll with someone of my own rank who just grapples all the time, tells me they don't lift weights or do much else. And they will maul me with superior technique and mat conditioning. So i guess there is no easy answer. I think each individual needs to look at their own game and analyze their strengths and weaknesses.

At the moment i am working out of Joel Jamieson's book, Ultimate MMA Conditioning. I am enjoying it so far, on week 3 of the first 8 week block, General Endurance. My resting heart rate was pretty high, so he suggests that as a good place to start, with two Aerobic workouts a week and one strength workout a week.

One thing i like about this book is that Joel has given some strength standards for MMA. Since he trained a ton of Pride Fighters at one point i am inclined to listen to what he has to say. He says a 1.5-2x BW squat, 2-2.5 BW Deadlift, 1.25-1.5 BW Bench, and 5-10 Pull Ups with 40-50 extra pounds of weight are good levels of general strength. Those are probably numbers that most of the folks here can easily attain.

I am interested to see how i feel on the mat as things progress.

anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
Yael Grauer

I'm doing Rachel Cosgrove's program with the same thing in mind... working so far...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Eric Deangelis

The yoga is at home. I have two years yoga expierence so I can choose pace, poses, and the length/depth of these poses pretty well to stretch and work what took the most beating. Mostly I work Hamstrings, hip flexors, and some back. It is made to be a recovery stretch.

Program seems to be working well...

Today was:

Start: 4:10

Warm Up: 2 rounds of;
3 Skin the Cat
8 OHS w/ Bar
8 L - Pull Ups
8 Ring Dips
8 GHD Sit Ups
8 Back Extensions on GHD

Press: 10 x bar warmup
95 x 8 Warmup
135 x 5/ 135 x 5/ 135 x 5/ 140 x 5/ 140 x 5

Back Squat: 10 x bar warmup
135 x 8 warmup
225 x 2/ 255 x 2/ 275 x 2/ 285 x 2/ 290 x 2/ 295 x 2/ 300 x 2/ 300 x 2

Met- Con: 3 rounds of;
10 alternating KB snatch (35pound KB)
7 HSPU
Time: 3:06

Cool Down: 2 x 8 reverse Hypers
1x 5 each side KB windmills
1x 5 each side Turkish Get-Ups

End: 5:05

Will do some light yoga tonight for my legs, about 15 min worth. took 1 min rest between sets and went for good range of motion.
Eric Deangelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Jason Lopez-Ota

I suggest strength and conditioning like a wrestler. Maybe taking up Judo too. Judo guys tend to be really strong.

Doing a lot of BJJ would help also since it is specific to your goals. I've tapped stronger guys that outweight me by 30 pounds because I have better technique and good conditioning. When I was doing crossfit and BJJ I just burnt myself out. I didn't want to get out of bed some morning lol. So sore and tired.
Jason Lopez-Ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Grissim Connery

yeah along the lines of jason, i would always try to add more BJJ or other grappling before adding more S&C.

to be honest, grappling is getting more watered down nowadays with every d-bag wanting to be a fighter now. it's when you focus more on your S&C than your training that you get everything out of whack (unless you're already a "top of the food chain" blackbelt). in general when anybody seems a little too strong to me, i just focus on taking that back, and it normally happens.

with that being said, if you could add another day of grappling, you could prob take out some metcons and focus on strength more. as long as you keep rolling, you'll get pretty conditioned.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Jason Lopez-Ota

Im not saying crossfit is bad. Specific training helps specifically, strength and conditioning should be the supplement to your training, not the focus of it.
Jason Lopez-Ota is offline   Reply With Quote