Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Pete Gordon

Default who / where am i

Long time lurker, first time poster

I've read Greg's book on oly lifting. It really does live up to the high reviews that i've read & heard.

A bit of background before i ask my question. I come from a recreational powerlifting & bodybuilding background. When i say recreational, i mean I've acheived some good lifts, ie 1.5 x bodyweight bench press, 2xbw squat & 3xbw deadlift. I"m at a stage where my MP is BW.

Current snatch is 47.5kg (at a bodyweight of 68kg). I've not tested my c&j, i've been able to pull of a 65kg clean before (that'd be pretty close to my 1RM

I'm unsure of my status. With Greg's book on oly ifting, there's a program for beginners & intermediates. Based on my above lifts...what would you say
Pete Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
glennpendlay

beginner. your strong, but you snatch less than you press, clean and jerk less than you bench press and less than half your back squat and only a third of your deadlift. so in the Olympic lifts, you are a beginner. At the stage you are at, if you want to become good at OL, you need a steady diet of lots of the competitive lifts, practice, practice, practice.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Pete Gordon

thanks Glen. First off i'm cool with being a beginner, since in the formal sense doing the two classic lifts...i'm still new'ish. Maybe i didn't communicate right. At a bw of 68kg i've done a 4.75kg snatch as well as a 70kg military press. I don't want to be a good oly lifter, i need to be the best i can be. I can't wait till i c&j more than i bench. Is that common with oly lifters ?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Pete Gordon
This message has been deleted by Pete Gordon.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
Don Stevenson

99% of Olympic lifters probably can't even tell you what they bench. It's a lift that is rarely, if ever performed in their programs.

I would agree with Glenn. Basically anyone who comes into a new sport is a beginner because you now need to learn the technique of the lifts.

As a strong beginner you've got the advantage that you don't have to try so hard to develop both strength and technique at the same time like many people new to Olympic lifting but you'll also have to learn how to apply that strength to the O lifts and sometimes that's not easy.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
glennpendlay

Pete, yes, most OLers can clean and jerk more than they can bench. Not uncommon to do around 30% more, in fact.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Pete Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Pete, yes, most OLers can clean and jerk more than they can bench. Not uncommon to do around 30% more, in fact.

glenn
What!!!! You mean i can one day jerk 112.5kg! (bench press 90
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Tom Vale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gordon View Post
What!!!! You mean i can one day jerk 112.5kg! (bench press 90
Well the world record C&J for the 69kg class is currently held by Zhang Guozheng of China and sits at a feathery 197kg...
Tom Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Pete Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vale View Post
Well the world record C&J for the 69kg class is currently held by Zhang Guozheng of China and sits at a feathery 197kg...
god, i've got a long way to go! I have my first session tomorrow with a proper weightlifting coach tomorrow! My official journey starts tomorrow
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Pete Gordon

just an update...

i had my first coaching session last night. My coach said that although i've got the strength training background, I"m still a beginner like you've all said since with generating power & speed i'm quite new at it.

Big thanks to Greg for showing me the basics in his book! My coach is quite impressed with how good i am considering i'm self taught (via Greg's book)