Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Jane Michel

Default Book: Speed: The Only Weight Loss Book Worth Reading!

Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Only-Wei...7532393&sr=8-1

(link above contains reviews by Jimmy Moore, Tom Naughton and a couple of other people)

Review by Stephen Guyenet http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...iew-speed.html

Has anyone read the book or heard anything else about it?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Steve Shafley

I'm all for giving stuff a shot. If I see it at the library I'll grab it and read it.

The fact remains, however, that calorie restriction works. Period. No matter what Gary Taubes decided to write in what now seems to be the bible for the low carb nutter. Personally, I've lost weight on a low fat diet, on a low carb diet, and on an all around moderate diet.

The comments in that book review were filled with the same people who don't want to pay their dues in sweat and suffering and take responsibility for their own health and body weight. They seem to flow from blog to blog supporting their agenda.

I look at it as a pleasure/pain balance. The more pleasure you got out of eating shit and getting fat, the more pain it's going to be to get yourself out of that hole. The real frontier in weight loss has to do with finding usable psychological tricks to allow the weak willed to do that.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
They recommend eating real food that is low-carb, moderate-protein, and high-fat about 2-4 times daily or even every other day with an intermittent fasting strategy to get the weight down.
So are we really going into new ground here? Me thinks not......

Add in getting enough sleep, not stressing out all the time, and some high intensity based exercise (not overload)....and you have what most people preach out there already.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
Ganine Vanalst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
I'm all for giving stuff a shot. If I see it at the library I'll grab it and read it.

The fact remains, however, that calorie restriction works. Period. No matter what Gary Taubes decided to write in what now seems to be the bible for the low carb nutter. Personally, I've lost weight on a low fat diet, on a low carb diet, and on an all around moderate diet.

The comments in that book review were filled with the same people who don't want to pay their dues in sweat and suffering and take responsibility for their own health and body weight. They seem to flow from blog to blog supporting their agenda.

I look at it as a pleasure/pain balance. The more pleasure you got out of eating shit and getting fat, the more pain it's going to be to get yourself out of that hole. The real frontier in weight loss has to do with finding usable psychological tricks to allow the weak willed to do that.
Shaf's Super Duper, Super Speedy, Foolproof, Time Tested, Guaranteed, No Holds Barred, Tell It Like It Is, Weight Loss For Dummies In A Nutshell:

Shut Your Pie Hole and Move Your Ass!!!!!

Ganine Vanalst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Brian Stone

+1 to what everything Shaf said.

I think two of the biggest things to being successful are keeping busy (boredom makes dieting a lot harder) and creating accountability to those close to you.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
Geoffrey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
There was an article posted around here recently that researched conformance to diets and success in diets based on how many rules and such there were and found that simpler rule-based diets performed better than complicated ones, or something like that. I think this is one of the strengths of things like Paleo - very easy rules to conceptualize, following it will keep you feeling full, and eating lots of meat is pleasant for a lot of people so it's easy to follow. It's "easy" to say, "I'm not having that Coke or that bagel," almost idiot-proof. And they'll probably end up having enough vegetable matter. But it works by calorie restriction.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Steve Shafley

I love pie.

I am suffering right now.

Damn you for mentioning pie, Ganine.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
Steve Shafley

I agree, GT.

The simpler the execution of the diet, the more likely someone will try it.

IF, low carb, paleo....all of those strategies have that going for it.

A lot of people need hard rules on what to avoid. I am like that, myself. I have to write out the list of stuff I can't eat. Then I have to look at it almost daily as a reminder.