Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Default Weight for RDL's

Going through Coach Burgener's 4-day/week, 12 week program template, and he's got some RDL's on it. I've never done them really before, so I'm totally unsure what to put in the "MAX" column for RDL's. I presume I don't put in my max DL, but I've never really heard of someone doing a 1RM RDL either...

To give an idea, I'm about 175# (on the heavy side now, normally 160-165 "fightin" weight), deadlift 400, clean 195, snatch 130 (aka, I'm not all that good at this stuff still).

Any idea what I should be putting in there? He's got a set of 8 at 85% programmed on day 2, so want to get a good idea before I go.
Matt DeMinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Michael McKenna

I'd start with your clean max as your RDL max for now, assuming it's a full squat clean. In a week or two, you'll have a better idea what your max numbers are.

But 120-150% of your clean is also a decent starting point if you find your rdls are too easy. Again, you can always adjust it upwards if it's too easy. But since you haven't ever really done them, ease your way in over the course of a couple of weeks.
Michael McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Ok thanks Michael, I've got a feeling that 85% of my max clean would be incredibly light for RDL's, but for 5 sets of 8, having never done them before, it's probably a better place to start. If they're insanely easy and I'm not crippled sore from doing them the first time, I'll bump it up to 120-150%
Matt DeMinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Michael McKenna

Right now, I can clean about 160 or so (kg). My RDLs for 8s are at 180-200 kg. So you're probably right about the lightness, but start somewhere.
Michael McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
stephan marcella

Michael,

If you don't have Greg Everett's book, get it! In the programming portion of the book he covers loading and volume. Due do multiple variables the %'s are just starting points but non the less prove to be beneficial. I don't have the text handy but I believe he based the RDL off of the Back Squat and for the rep range you mentioned above a good starting point would be 50-60%....adjust as needed....if I am wrong about what the book states, I apologize.

With that said, are we on the same page as to how the RDL is performed? There are a lot of good video's in the exercise section of this site. I am relatively strong in clean and snatch DL's, but I don't believe I good perform the RDL with 150% of my best clean while maintaining the proper mechanics for 8 -10 reps.
stephan marcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Jay Ashman

I've often told people to use 60% of their DL 1RM as a good point of reference. I may be off on that but it worked for my purposes.

I prefer good mornings but RDL's are a solid lift.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Donald Lee

I don't think percentages are useful for a new lift. Go by feel.u
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
James Evans

Matt, nail the exercise at a lighter weight first. RDLs can leave you ungodly sore if you're not used to them. Your clean max would probably be a safe start but play around at 135. Think about the volume involved.

Michael, good work sir.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Dave Van Skike

fwiw. i try to work up to about 70% of Max DL for sets of 5-8... side note, RDL's are an excellent freebie grip work. i try to hit 3-5 sets working overhand until the forearms are fried and then throw on straps for the top set.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
James Evans

I will encourage any of you relatively new to these boards to take note of what Dave has to say. When he can be bothered to post something.