Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
Don Stevenson

Thanks for the input guys.

To clear up a couple of things.

I don't take any AAS and anything that even looks like an AAS precursor or whatever is banned in Australia. You can buy Tribulus but that's about it.

As much as i'd like to add one thing at time to my plan at the moment i'm going to just dump a bunch of stuff in and see how i go with my next training cycle.

I went out today and picked up the following

L- Glutamine
Creatine
Vit D3
BCAA
Endura electrolyte drink with magnesium in it

Fortunately a friend of mine owns a supplement store because some of this stuff isn't cheap here in Aus!

He also recommended GABA over ZMA for sleep / GH increase. Any opinions on this?

Also dose wise this is what i'm planning

Multivitamin - 1 per day
Fish oil - 4g before bed
D3 - 4000IU per day
Creatine - 20g x 5 days loading then 5g/ day
L Glutamine - 3-5g post workout
BCAA mix - 2.2g post workout
Protein - WPC 40g 3x a day
Endura - 2 scoops post workout = 320mg magnesium, 80mg calcium, 240mg potassium
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stevenson View Post

As much as i'd like to add one thing at time to my plan at the moment i'm going to just dump a bunch of stuff in and see how i go with my next training cycle.
I don't get this. I don't really care as it's your training + money, but why is that the plan over knowing which supps. are actually working?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
Don Stevenson

Derek,

Good point, I guess it runs something like this

For the past 12 months i've used the following with seemingly good results.

Protein
Fish Oil
Multi Vitamin

In previous years i've used the following with good effect so i'm happy adding them in

Creatine and Glutamine

This leaves the BCAAs, Vit D and Electrolytes as the more experimental stuff.

It probably should try them one at a time but given that I think the improvements from these three are going to total a few percent in terms of recovery over and above the other stuff I'm not sure how i'd determine how effective each one is on it's own within the progress i make over the next 5-6 weeks.

What I may do is take them all until the end of this training cycle and then try eliminating one at a time to see if there are any adverse effects from stopping.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Really? That would be interesting. I'm sure genetics played no role at all...

It's scary when I look at my dad's old photos compared to mine, and now when I look at my baby girl's compared to me around the same age. There's only so much change that one can do.
He grew up fat, so I'm not sure if he's genetically gifted strength-wise. He must not be gifted bodyfat-wise though.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
Allen Yeh

It's been a while since I've messed with creatine but I thought it was concluded the loading phase wasn't necessary?

Never really read too much about GABA but I do like ZMA for the sleep benefits especially when training hard. Eric Cressey has mentioned how much he loves Z-12 which has GABA in it: ( It even gave me the Australian Biotest link)
http://www.biotestaustralia.com/products/Z12.html
I'm not usually one to take recommendations of supps lightly but if Eric Cressey thinks it's worthy, it might just be worth a shot. I don't know if it's worht 99 RRP, in the States it's $35 USD.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #16
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
He grew up fat, so I'm not sure if he's genetically gifted strength-wise. He must not be gifted bodyfat-wise though.
Does that guy post on Lyle's forum or have I mistaken him for one of the other sinewy half naked fellows?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Does that guy post on Lyle's forum or have I mistaken him for one of the other sinewy half naked fellows?
Yes he posts on Lyle's forum. He was one of the four who were supposed to release some mega project of sorts.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Yes he posts on Lyle's forum. He was one of the four who were supposed to release some mega project of sorts.
Yeah, he posts as Work, and that project got cancelled. Martin Berkham is coming out with a book some time this year though.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Yeah, he posts as Work, and that project got cancelled. Martin Berkham is coming out with a book some time this year though.
I never thought that project would become a reality.

4 guys in different time zones all with similar, but still different methods and ideas on one project. And all of them have somewhat limited audiences to begin with.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
Don Stevenson

Allen, you may be right, it's been a while since I used creatine.

I got a sample of GABA from my friend with the rest of the stuff i picked up and tried it last night.

took 2g 30 minutes before bed and it knocked me out cold and made me sleep all the way through to just before my alarm went off and today I feel much better rested than is usual after a night at my girlfriends place (which is noisy and a bit hot)

On the downside it's expensive here. $70 for a 100g bottle but i'll try another night or two on it and if it works as well over the weekend i'll buy some.

PS I though this thread was about me, not some skinny dude with freaky biceps! I'm the attention whore here, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!