Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
Patrick Poblocki
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 30
Default sleep trouble with sub 100 carbs?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following, and if so, what do you think is going on:

Been following Paleo with a few extra dairy additions: cream mostly. I've tracked my food on Fit Day for the past 5 weeks. I'm averaging 2500 cals per day: 155 g protein, 100 g. carbs, and the rest fat. This has been part of a progression where I've gradually lowered my carb levels. I'm trying to get single digit bodyfat (presently 18% at 5'7", 170lbs, m, 28yrs). Since January, I've gone from 180lbs at 21%bf to my present condition. So, it's working...slowly.

Anyway, although I've felt good in most respects, this weird thing has been happening for the past two weeks (i.e., as soon as I've dropped below 100g carbs): As soon as my head hits the pillow my heart starts racing and the eyes start twitching. I feel like I'm having a "fight or flight" response. I feel really jacked-up. So, I toss and turn for a couple hours before dozing off. My energy throughout the day, though, is fine. I'm humming!

Has this happened to anyone?

I experimented and the last two days I increased my carb load to about 35% of my diet (more Zone-like Paleo I guess) and I've slept well...

Any thoughts? Should I keep it up with the slightly higher carb load and just decrease my overall caloric load?

Thanks,

Patrick
Patrick Poblocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
Anyway, although I've felt good in most respects, this weird thing has been happening for the past two weeks (i.e., as soon as I've dropped below 100g carbs): As soon as my head hits the pillow my heart starts racing and the eyes start twitching. I feel like I'm having a "fight or flight" response. I feel really jacked-up. So, I toss and turn for a couple hours before dozing off. My energy throughout the day, though, is fine. I'm humming!

I experimented and the last two days I increased my carb load to about 35% of my diet (more Zone-like Paleo I guess) and I've slept well...
I think you answered your own question about whether or not to eat more carbs.....as I would want my sleep.

Why it is happening? Too many hormones and neurotransmitters going on to guess....but listen to your body.

You can get to single digit BF just fine with more carbs, just make sure they are all "real food" (no breads and sugar) and keep calories in check.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned on Lyle's forum and elsewhere that carb levels too low can jack with sleep pretty badly (I think natural production of serotonin was the reason).

So, yes. Raise your carbs. Regardless, you'll have to lower total caloric load to get what you want. Eating maintenance calories with low carbs alone won't do it.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Patrick Poblocki
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 30
Default

Thanks! Well, I just woke up from a nap, so I think it's working... Looks like I'll keep a watch on my overall calorie load, but eat a few more carbs, too.
Patrick Poblocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

Just remember, that no matter what Taubes said in his book, calories do in fact matter.

There are definitely hormones that are at play in regards to body composition, but without a caloric deficit, you will not lose fat.

There are some tricks you can play with as you get leaner, but you're a fair distance out from that.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following, and if so, what do you think is going on:

Been following Paleo with a few extra dairy additions: cream mostly. I've tracked my food on Fit Day for the past 5 weeks. I'm averaging 2500 cals per day: 155 g protein, 100 g. carbs, and the rest fat. This has been part of a progression where I've gradually lowered my carb levels. I'm trying to get single digit bodyfat (presently 18% at 5'7", 170lbs, m, 28yrs). Since January, I've gone from 180lbs at 21%bf to my present condition. So, it's working...slowly.

Anyway, although I've felt good in most respects, this weird thing has been happening for the past two weeks (i.e., as soon as I've dropped below 100g carbs): As soon as my head hits the pillow my heart starts racing and the eyes start twitching. I feel like I'm having a "fight or flight" response. I feel really jacked-up. So, I toss and turn for a couple hours before dozing off. My energy throughout the day, though, is fine. I'm humming!

Has this happened to anyone?

I experimented and the last two days I increased my carb load to about 35% of my diet (more Zone-like Paleo I guess) and I've slept well...

Any thoughts? Should I keep it up with the slightly higher carb load and just decrease my overall caloric load?

Thanks,

Patrick
Hunger, and your body will perceive depleted glycogen stores as physiological hunger, triggers increased alertness and physical activity.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...62&postcount=1
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
Patrick Poblocki
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 30
Default

Thanks! After about a week of eating more carbs (about 100 - 125) from veggies/fruits, I feel much better and am sleeping well. And, I'm still able to get to my desired caloric deficit.
Patrick Poblocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
Chris Butler
Member
 
Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Teton Valley,Idaho
Posts: 96
Thumbs down

It's 2:50 a.m. and I'm up eating grapes. I've been eating 100% Paleo for 1 yr. and from time to time I get a bout of insomnia from too few carbs. Glad I found this thread . This is now my 3rd. night in a row of insomnia.

Haven't had this problem all winter but I just returned to weighlifting from a 3 month lay off for the height of ski season. I backcountry splitboard as a job of sorts.
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator