Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Rafe Kelley

Default Hypoglycemic/Anxiety attack

On saturday at Parkour Visions(my gym) we did our first competition, this was just the second such grassroots competition that I know of and it went really well. Except one thing during the middle of it I had what seemed like a panic attack.

To set the stage,

I have had string of flukey injuriessince september culminating with injuries to both feet(none parkour related). My feet are starting recover but still tender, but my training as far as Parkour has been pretty inconsistent since september still I wanted to compete but since I had to build the courses I couldn't qualify as official competitor so I figured I would be able to just take it easy and see what my times would be.

I have also been cutting weight I weighed in at 212.7 and approximately 18 percent BF on january 9th and Saturday I weighed in at 195.8 at 11 or so. Which is important because I was probably very glyocogen depleted on saturday my cheat days have been on sundays and have usually resulted in rise of 3-5 pounds in weight from water and glyocogen which I shed plus one pound of true weight loss by saturday. Since I wouldn't be an official competitor I figured continuing to cut weight wouldn't be a problem.

The result was that I performed very badly on the first course and then had all the symptoms of panic attack after failing on the second. Blurred vision, heart rate racing, difficulty talking, feeling of extreme anxiety.

I am curious if anyone has any experience with attacks like this were both stress and hypoglycemia could be contributing factors and what I need to do for recover.

I am still feeling very fatigued and low mood. I have gone full diet break and took monday off work and spent time out in the woods meditating but I am still feeling messed up.

I need to get back up to speed fast for the buisness plus my own training.
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

More sleep definitely. Have you been having trouble with it?

Could just be some lagging after effects from the incident but that's pretty good. However, this was just like what happened to me when my body just broke down from high intensity training.

Got anymore infos?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

You probably could benefit from a hefty dose of minerals, particularly electrolytes. Cutting that much weight that fast is not a good idea, there can be permanent repercussions in your system.

Eat a lot of food. Train light.

Read this from Ross Enamait about cutting weight.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Just what you could have induced in yourself from an acute magnesium deficiency (or a chronic deficiency exacerbated by your extreme weight cutting):
http://www.mbschachter.com/importanc...m_to_human.htm
Quote:
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency?
What are some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency? They are outlined beautifully in a recent article by Dr. Sidney Baker. Magnesium deficiency can affect virtually every organ system of the body. With regard to skeletal muscle, one may experience twitches, cramps, muscle tension, muscle soreness, including back aches, neck pain, tension headaches and jaw joint (or TMJ) dysfunction. Also, one may experience chest tightness or a peculiar sensation that he can't take a deep breath. Sometimes a person may sigh a lot.

Symptoms involving impaired contraction of smooth muscles include constipation; urinary spasms; menstrual cramps; difficulty swallowing or a lump in the throat-especially provoked by eating sugar; photophobia, especially difficulty adjusting to oncoming bright headlights in the absence of eye disease; and loud noise sensitivity from stapedius muscle tension in the ear.

Other symptoms and signs of magnesium deficiency and discuss laboratory testing for this common condition. Continuing with the symptoms of magnesium deficiency, the central nervous system is markedly affected. Symptoms include insomnia, anxiety, hyperactivity and restlessness with constant movement, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and premenstrual irritability. Magnesium deficiency symptoms involving the peripheral nervous system include numbness, tingling, and other abnormal sensations, such as zips, zaps and vibratory sensations.

Symptoms or signs of the cardiovascular system include palpitations, heart arrhythmias, angina due to spasms of the coronary arteries, high blood pressure and mitral valve prolapse. Be aware that not all of the symptoms need to be present to presume magnesium deficiency; but, many of them often occur together. For example, people with mitral valve prolapse frequently have palpitations, anxiety, panic attacks and premenstrual symptoms. People with magnesium deficiency often seem to be "uptight." Other general symptoms include a salt craving, both carbohydrate craving and carbohydrate intolerance, especially of chocolate, and breast tenderness.
Natural Calm Plus Calcium (it has magnesium, calcium, and potassium in it) would be a good choice here. Emergen-C's have a decent amount of potassium as well.

Get a good sea salt and don't be shy with using it. Drink herbal teas or salt your water a tiny bit. Citrus fruit can be helpful (ie. lemon juice in your water).

Now would not be a good time to try to re-hydrate only with "whole foods".
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Rafe Kelley

Thanks for the responses Garret and Steve.

As for more info.

My sleep has actually gotten much better as I have lost weight, i went from falling asleep between 2-3am and waking at 9 followed by laying in bed till 10:30 to sleeping between 12-1 and waking around 9 natural, I also noted increased libido as I lost weight.

I started my weight cutting on the 4th of january and a did constant cut from the 4th through the 29th, I dropped from 212.7 to 199, bounced up to about 202 after refeed. Waist dropped from 35 to 33, while chest, arms and legs were stable

Over that period I averaged 1773 calories per day not counting sunday cheat days 108gr fat, 94 carb, 111 protien. I ate two meals per day one around 12pm and the other around 10pm. I took vitamin 5000 IU and about a tablespoon of fish oil a day no other supps. According to fitday, I was low on thiamin 62 percent, manganese 55, magnesium 55, vitamin E 57 and fiber 47.

Aside from hunger I felt great through that whole period. Took one week of, then went back to gentler cut.

Febuary 9-march 15. Weight dropped 202-195(198 after refeed) waist from 33 to 32.25. Two meals as before, with small protient biased snack around 4pm. 2,465 calorie average per day aside from sunday reffed, 150 fat, 149.5 carb, 138.8 protein, Low on thiamin 84, manganese 82, and fiber 73. Stopped taking vitamin D about 2 week in as supply ran out plus more time in the sun.

Training during this period was 2-3 strength training days mixing dynamic effort and max effort for pull ups, dips and deadlifts(hit a 435 deadlift, plus bw plus 75 pound PU an Dip tuesday before comp), 1-2 weekly sprint sessions usually in the from of 5x40 meter sprints with about 2 minutes rests between runs and about 2-3 1-2 hour Parkour training sessions per week. This felt like very minimal volume to me compared to previous training blocks when I was not dieting and had less work to do.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Rafe Kelley
This message has been deleted by Rafe Kelley.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

It sounds like you've been training with low/depleted glycogen stores for a while which results in increased BCAA oxidation and (eventually) central fatigue.

Supplement manufacturers have used increased fatigue due to BCAA oxidation while on a low carb diet as justification for the use of BCAA supps but you can avoid the problem altogether if you keep your carbs high enough to fuel your training load and cut calories by reducing your fat intake to ~20% of total energy.

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/...ue-hypothesis/
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Craig Brown

You are right in my 'fucked' window for carbs...I do fine under 100g day, better at 50g, and feel fine at the 225g+.

I'd personally feel like crap with your macros, and would shift 50-70 grams of carbs over to protein and keep the fat. Are you a carnivore? Also, you activity is very high for a cutting phase. I'd be trying to slow the weight loss by a fair amount.

YMMV

Craig
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Take a day off....go eat a burrito (or 2)...have a couple bananas....see how you feel the next day. Add a shot of espresso and you should feel better.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Rafe Kelley

Thanks for the advice guys, I seem to be mostly recovered now, did just minor training this week nothing serious or planned just responding to internal motivation. Weird Footnote, eight whatever wanted over the weekend weight went from 195.8 saturday morning to 201.7 tuesday morning, while just eating for hunger it dropped back down to 198.7 this morning on its own, due to the shedding of huge amount of water, hourly trips to the bathroom for two days shedding water, bizarre experience.