Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

When you have that condition, your time is your time. It could happen in a gym, on the toilet, or watching your favorite TV show.

It shouldn't go to court unless somebody just wants a nuisance settlement. But if it does, that case will continue to build the litigation kit that already includes Glassman's proclamations, the idiotic comments made daily on that forum, and the pukey/rhabdo stuff.

There is nothing that affiliate or trainer could have done. It is a tragedy for them, as well, and that tragedy is compounded by the noticeable absence of any mention by HQ. The waiver article was classless but not surprising.

Condolences to Dede, her family, the affiliate, her trainer, and anyone else involved. Sad deal.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
When you have that condition, your time is your time. It could happen in a gym, on the toilet, or watching your favorite TV show.

It shouldn't go to court unless somebody just wants a nuisance settlement. But if it does, that case will continue to build the litigation kit that already includes Glassman's proclamations, the idiotic comments made daily on that forum, and the pukey/rhabdo stuff.

There is nothing that affiliate or trainer could have done. It is a tragedy for them, as well, and that tragedy is compounded by the noticeable absence of any mention by HQ. The waiver article was classless but not surprising.

Condolences to Dede, her family, the affiliate, her trainer, and anyone else involved. Sad deal.
Well said! My condolences as well.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
Danny John

I remember back when there was this "cavalier" attitude about rhabdo and killing people in the original interactions with this, Gary. I'm certainly no safety Nazi, but maybe it is the fact that I'm an S and C guy not a Personal Trainer, so we edge towards performance (I like Cook's hierarchy on this, by the way).

If I make a mistake and some one gets hurt, part of what I do is gather the people involved and make serious decisions about what is going on. That is why we don't do Box Jumps, and fine if you do.

I don't know the woman or the family, but I certainly have led our groups in prayer offering any support we can. The hard thing about this is that, as Gary noted, I'm almost "used" to deaths in marathons, but NEVER do people die doing a workout or training period. That's why Pavel insists on "Training Sessions" rather than workout. (Yes, I know, people die Benching, but that is very preventable).

It's a big issue for those of us in the field.
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Mike ODonnell
This message has been deleted by Mike ODonnell.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Pat McElhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
I'm not a doctor, but my limited experience and understanding leads me to believe, as has been said elsewhere, that the nature of her death was one not really caused by CF -.....
Best wishes to her family and friends.
Greg really hit the nail on the head. Acute tears of an aortic anuerysm are bad, not sure if Dede's tear was in the abdominal or thoracic region. Thoracic tears are almost 100% fatal. Often times, the patient is revived immediately, but had taken such a hit that too much cellular death had occur and the patient dies a few days later.

Greg hit the nail on the head again with CFHQ silence. The couch thread is the only place I have seen more then a few people express remorse, which says a lot about both places...coach thread and CrossFit.

I am not making light of this...but when she collapsed do you think people thought...oh she needs more salt because her aldosterone is down because she is zoning? Or if her trainer had a sphygmometer the outcome would have been different? Maybe someone out there will realize training people is serious business and if you are going to do, you need to be educated and know what the hell you are doing.

Thoughts and prayers to her family.
Pat McElhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
Jonathan Yoon

And it's been almost two weeks since Dede collapsed mid-workout and a week since her passing - STILL NOTHING FROM CFHQ.

Although I don't think a sphygmometer would have necessarily changed the outcome based on the situation and the reaction time of the people in the gym. But anyone who becomes a trainer should be aware of things like this and be prepared for it (trained & certified in First Aid, CPR, and the ability to use an AED which should be in the gym along with a fully-packed First Aid Kit). But individuals who take on a fitness program of any kind should get themselves checked before hand as well.

RIP Dede.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
Kevin Perry

RIP Dede.

Shame on CFHQ.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Derek Weaver

First, condolences to her family as well as the trainer/owner of the affiliate. I'm sure, as is the case the vast majority of the time, the intentions of the affiliate were good.

While an aortic aneurysm is something that eventually will cause anlife threatening problem regardless of activity, I have a feeling that a lawyer could draw enough of a relationship between CF and Dede's death to cause a bit of a stir and cause some issues for HQ and that affiliate. The Pukie and Rhabdo mascots won't help anything. As well as the whole thing with glassman saying" if breaking your neck is a problem, we don't want you in our ranks" or whatever it said.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
Jamie J. Skibicki

"" if breaking your neck is a problem, we don't want you in our ranks""

It was "if the idea of breaking your neck is a problem, we don't want you"

This is something that CFer manage to fuck up as well. The point is not "hey, look at my fucked up hands" which is stupid, macho bullshit which interrupts training. The point is supposed to be "I'm going to do the excersize which, if done wrong could hurt me, but it's much more effective than those that cannot".

You don't want to get injured, but you don't want to avoid doing this that could hurt you.
Jamie J. Skibicki is offline   Reply With Quote