Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Júlíus G. Magnússon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iceland
Posts: 555
Default Elbow Strengthening

I've been dealing with a fucked up elbow for a while now. I've been focusing on trying to get a deadhang muscle-up, and actually managed to get one on two separate occasions about six-seven months ago. Since then I've been having trouble.

Thing is, there's something about the transition that really bothers me. Even spotter assisted muscle-ups mess me up.

I'm just now at the almost-better stage (and I've been there a couple of times before deciding to do something stupid) and was thinking that what I've been doing so far doesn't seem to be working so it's time to change something.

Would it be a good idea to try to do some elbow specific work?

Any kind of pressure that's parallel to the forearm doesn't bother me. Pressure that's perpendicular to the forearm seems to fuck it up.

Would it be wise to maybe do some back lever progressions to try to get the elbow ready before starting to move back into the muscle-ups?

Any other ideas for ways to strengthen the joint?
__________________
log
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

I assume you're having trouble with the weight that is being put on the elbow in the compressed/flexed position when you go through the transition.

That's totally normal for a lot of people when first learning the move. It doesn't bother me now, but can easily be produced in almost anyone if you weight muscle ups enough.

Basically what you want to do is strengthen the heck out of your forearms, triceps, and biceps (aka all the muscles that connect in and around the elbow).

Rice bucket works well for forearms -- although you can do whatever you want for this.

Biceps are definitely hit well in supinated back lever as well as some planching variations (hands backwards, sideways, rings), pullup variations, etc.

Triceps are hit well through stuff you already know. Dips, manna, HSPUs, etc.

Basically, just get stronger in the arms and it tends to go away. You may need some specific isolation work or you can emphasize more compound movement strength in your routines.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Grissim Connery
Senior Member
 
Grissim Connery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 624
Default

just curious

i normally feel HSPU in my triceps, while i feel dips in my biceps. is what most people feel?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Júlíus G. Magnússon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iceland
Posts: 555
Default

Thanks, Steven. That makes sense.

I'm currently focusing on fat gripz stuff for my grip/forearm strength. I think I'm doing plenty of pressing work, but I could probably stand to add more pull-ups.
__________________
log
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Júlíus G. Magnússon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iceland
Posts: 555
Default

Grissim, I've only ever done "CF HSPU" but those are triceps and shoulders for me and dips feel mainly like chest and triceps.
__________________
log
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
just curious

i normally feel HSPU in my triceps, while i feel dips in my biceps. is what most people feel?
Nah, I feel both of those exercises in my triceps.

The only one where it's "both" is OAC... I can feel both my long head of triceps working, and my biceps working extensively.

Dips, IF you're leaned forward enough, can recruit a bunch of biceps in there. This is what happens if you do very leaned forward dips on pbars/rings.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
Grissim Connery
Senior Member
 
Grissim Connery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Nah, I feel both of those exercises in my triceps.

The only one where it's "both" is OAC... I can feel both my long head of triceps working, and my biceps working extensively.

Dips, IF you're leaned forward enough, can recruit a bunch of biceps in there. This is what happens if you do very leaned forward dips on pbars/rings.
i think that i used to not lean forward, but now because it takes stress off my shoulders, i lean forward. i should probably change this
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
i think that i used to not lean forward, but now because it takes stress off my shoulders, i lean forward. i should probably change this
Lean forward actually puts more overall stress on the body (cause you're moving towards planche pushup-ing with every degree). It's fine as long as you don't start arching a lot.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Donald Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 646
Default

I think leaning forward makes it harder on the triceps due to your center of mass going further from the fulcrum of your elbow, thus, increasing the lever arm. I'm kind of tired right now, so I could have just pulled that one of my ass.

I think leaning forward also allows you to recruit your upper chest muscles as well and recruits a little less anterior delts due to increased recruitment of upper chest and smaller angle of shoulder extension.

I know Borge Fagerli has written about a contraption he made to weight dips from your upper body as opposed to your hips to allow more forward lean and chest recruitment.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I think leaning forward makes it harder on the triceps due to your center of mass going further from the fulcrum of your elbow, thus, increasing the lever arm. I'm kind of tired right now, so I could have just pulled that one of my ass.

I think leaning forward also allows you to recruit your upper chest muscles as well and recruits a little less anterior delts due to increased recruitment of upper chest and smaller angle of shoulder extension.

I know Borge Fagerli has written about a contraption he made to weight dips from your upper body as opposed to your hips to allow more forward lean and chest recruitment.
Leaning forward makes it harder on everything...
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.