Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Robert Allison

Default Monkey Bar Gym / Jon Hinds

I saw this on IGx a while back:

Quote:
1. Understand Jon Hines progression of Alignment, Stability, Strength, Power. His templates cover this on www.Monkeybargym.com
I checked around the MBG site, but didn't really see anything explaining this progression. Any peeps here familiar with this?

Also, any reviews of their seminars and/or any of the DVDs his material is on? I'm curious to learn more about his work.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Bill Ripley

I like MBG's stuff, but I think the DVDs are a little overpriced.

As far as the progressions go, in terms of the pushup....

Alignment - plank
Strength - pushup (maybe one handed)
Power - weighted pushup (or w power pushup thingy)

That is just an example and may not be entirely accurate (I haven't watched the DVDs in a while) but it should give you an idea.
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Here's the notes I took on the pushing variations:

Quote:
Monkey Bar Gym Training Progressions: Pushing

Horizontal Push Ups

Alignment:

Kneeling Table: Hands flat, long spine, no collapses, lift one arm maintaining position, then lift the other are, maintaining position. Can use blocks between knees and feet.

Incline Plane: Shins forward, thighs back, shoulders wide. Long spine, no collapses. Hand lifts maintaining position.

Stability:

Push up on knees hips and chest touch floor at same time, no collapse in neck and back. Long spine, wide shoulders: 15-20 reps then progress to next.

knee push ups - get into incline plane. Lower to floor, touching hips and chest at same time. Bend knees back, push back up while on knees. 15-20 reps, then progress to strength level.

Strength:

Push up: no collapse. Hips and chest touch together. 15-20 reps then progress to power level.

Power:

Push up with extra resistance (power push-up, bands, chains, weight vest, etc) no collapsing

Variations:

Plyo push ups/clapping push ups no collapsing

One arm push up progressions:
1. Both knees on ground, one leg kicked out to side. (think legs are in an L shape). First do them with hand on knee, then to make harder, move hand onto lower back.
2. Back leg extended, side leg on ground. First work with hand on knee, then hand on low back
3. Both legs extended, feet on ground, still in L shape. First work hand on knee then hand on low back.
4. Both legs extended backwards (no L). Progression can be moving legs closer together until feet touch. Hand on knee then on low back.
5. One arm One Leg push ups

Scorpion push ups: Go down, turn head as if listening to ground, kick up one foot over and across the body towards the opposite shoulder.

Alligator push ups: Take small steps with hand and opposite leg. Forwards easier, backwards is harder. Knees and elbows close but not too close to each other.

Inverted or Vertical Push ups

Alignment:

Kneeling Table: Hands flat, long spine, no collapses, lift one arm maintaining position, then lift the other are, maintaining position. Can use blocks between knees and feet

Down Dog: Blocks between feet and knees. Spine long from hands to tailbone. Legs long from toes to tailbone. Think everything wide, open and long.

Stability:

Sequence 1:

Down Dog push up: Do a push up in the plane of your upper body. Feet go from wide to narrow to progress. Maintain body position rigid while doing push up. No collapsing. 10-20 good reps before progressing.

Hindu push up: Down dog position, swoop through hands, head and chest slightly above or grazing floor, push the hips back to starting position. 10-20 good reps before progressing.

Dive Bomber push ups: Down dog position, swoop through hands to ending position, then reverse the motion, swooping low and back to starting position.

Sequence 2:

Down Dog push up: Do a push up in the plane of your upper body. Feet go from wide to narrow to progress. Maintain body position rigid while doing push up. No collapsing. 10-20 good reps before progressing.

Feet elevated down dog push up. Put feet on progressively higher blocks/boxes/steps until body is vertical. Think about pushing the thighs and butt up. You will start in an inverted V shape, then progress to an inverted L shape.

Sequence 3:

Face the wall (FTW) lateral wall walks. Stand in front of wall, facing away. Bend over place hands on ground, then walk your legs up the wall. Think about staying long and extended. First hold in place until you feel stable enough to progress. Next walk sideways moving hand to hand. Keep thinking long and extended. Take more and more weight off feet to progress.

Back to wall (BTW) lateral wall walks. First, practice kicking up, touching, then landing lightly with one leg. Soft landing need to be mastered before moving forward. Then kick up and walk laterally on your hands, with your hands ~1 foot from wall. Take more and more weight off feet to progress.

Strength:

Handstand push ups: Progressions.
1.FTW position. Slap thigh with one hand then the other.
2.1 arm FTW holds
3.BTW thigh slaps
4.BTW 1 arm holds
5.Handstand push us, lightly touch forehead to floor
6.Unsupported handstand push ups

Power:

Handstand walks first learn a cartwheel. Cartwheels will be used to return to your feet instead of falling. Then start with a few steps, lengthening distance when you can. Cartwheel out of handstand instead of falling over.

Handstand stair walks very advanced. Don't fall on your head.

Jungle Gym Variations

1.Push up: Start with JG at 60 angle of straps (with straps hanging down being 90). To make it easier, move straps out, to make it harder, bring straps in. Keep webbing off arms.
2.Triceps layout: Triceps extension..you are ONLY moving at the elbow. 3 variations from easier to harder. Keeping upper arms static, bring hands to chest then extend out. Next is hands to face. Finally, hands to the back of the head. Adjust angle of straps to make these easier and harder.
3.Chest fly: 60 to start. Go out as far as you can safely. Progress by going out further, then moving the straps down to bring your body closer to parallel to the floor.
4.Dips: Assisted dip:
a. Hold top dip position for 30s, feet behind, feet in front, then finally no foot support.
b. Assisted dips (feet in front or back)
c. Full dip with no support
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Robert Allison

Thanks guys... I also found some more info along those lines on their site.

Shaf, did you attend one of their seminars? If so, do you think it was worth the investment?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Steve Shafley

No, I take notes on DVDs I watch that I feel will come in handy sometimes.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Grissim Connery

i was unaware that BTW handstand walks were harder than FTW. normally find i can do a lot of tougher things FTW, but today i tried the BTW handstand walks. that sucked (in a good way). it's mainly cause it's harder to shift your hips from side to side, so it's harder to put your shoulders right under your center of mass.

cool beans
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Daniel Christensen

Shaf

Thanks for posting those notes. Do you have theri other DVDs and do you recommend them?

Cheers

Dan
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Steve Shafley

A friend of mine had them and I borrowed them and took notes.

They are pricey, but the information is good. It depends on your disposable income or whether or not you are able to write of informational materials for a training business.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
Daniel Christensen

Thanks
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Robert Allison

Have any of you guys checked out the Collison Course DVD set? I believe that Hinds is one of the presenters on that as well. I'm interested in knowing how that compares to the MBG DVDs and also how good is the material from the other presenters on the CC set.