Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
Robert Callahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
exactly, Robert... stuff I thought about doing was jumping squats, box jumps, lower weight high rep squats for strength endurance.
Honestly it sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place

You are probably already doing this also but just wanted to add that I would recommend at least some higher weight lower rep squatting as well. As a swimmer you need those turns to be as explosive as possible and a strong 1RM squat will be more analogous to that then a 20 rep squat will.

And I like what you said about the walking in plank position. I think that the shoulder stability gained from that will be very beneficial. Handstands and ring work could fit in there as well if you ever had the desire or wanted variety, but it all would do the same thing And if they like weights, overhead press? While they may not like it as girls, the more muscle you can build up on those shoulders the less likely they are to injure it later on.

Alright enough from me, I am still a very novice strength coach. I have a long history with aquatics but still have a lot to learn about programing good supplementary strength & conditioning programs.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #12
Jay Ashman

it definitely is, Steve...

Good suggestions, Robert, thanks. I won't do handstands with them as I don't need to waste time teaching them high-skill moves but I am definitely planning to do overhead pressing with them for sure.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Jay Ashman

update....

busy as HELL with the job, training a lot of hours per week, managing the programs and doing sales as well. I am learning a lot about the ins and outs of running a training business which will only serve to help me in the future.

I have a lot of athletes as of right now.... 8 young football players (8-10), a 14 year old FB player, a 14 year old pitcher who throws 85 mph, a semi-pro FB player who plays linebacker, 2 all-state swimmers, 2 soccer players and an ice hockey winger.

I work about 60 hours a week between the two gyms and run the sports training program, so everytime an athlete comes in, he has to come through me to get assessed and worked on.

Its a damn good situation for sure....

and I am still training hard, doing my first Strongman contest in 7 years in July.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
8 young football players (8-10)
Out of curiosity, do you train these lads like football players or do you train them with an eye towards variety?

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fenner View Post
Out of curiosity, do you train these lads like football players or do you train them with an eye towards variety?

Best,
Mark
I train them basically for bodyweight strength, basic agility, learning how to balance themselves, run backwards, simple jumping drills to get them quicker, etc. Nothing dramatic. They are kids and I make it fun for them, but the end goal is improvement on the field of play.

the stuff I do can transfer over to many sports, since most of these kids play multiple sports it works well that way.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
Scott Dyck

14 yo throwing 85 is going to generate some interest. Keep that stud arm healthy!
Scott Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dyck View Post
14 yo throwing 85 is going to generate some interest. Keep that stud arm healthy!
oh he already has generated interest for sure....