Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Sara Fleming

Blair,

Just a note on bars if you still want a DIY solution:

I used 5 foot lengths of 1.5 inch PVC capped with sand and they weighed 8-10 lb depending on the sand. If you use mixing sand that has clay in it, it will weigh less. If you use pure white playground sand, it will weigh more. Regardless, once you pound those caps in place, they do not come off without crowbars or other implements of destruction. I was going to use pipe sealant, but it was completely unnecessary. I just banged the pipe on the ground. These were for my beginner clients and work great, especially for overhead squats. But, for littler hands, you might try inserting some rebar into the 1/2 inch PVC to give it some weight and then capping it. Sand won't change the weight that much so you'll need something heavier like the lead shot you suggested or rebar.

Sara
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
Blair Lowe

I may end up making some of these bars, since the gyms bodybars have gone AWOL. I hate the damn things but the girl's program uses them a lot so...

I'm doing a trip to HomeDepot to buy some pvc for rings and maybe some of those bars. We have two sets of parallettes in the gym besides the PB and a whole bunch of other things to do L-sits on.

I pretty much decided I don't need them since we have the real thing for what we are doing but they would still be useful possibly. Sand is cheap, lead shot isn't if I remember; and that is part of the issue (doing this as inexpensive as I can).

I just may have found a line on about 800lbs of plates and a bar for a ridiculous price so I will have more weight than I will know what to do with. The bar is probably a beater but I would then invest in a proper bar and start building my bumper collection and then a squat rack.

Instead of bars, we typically get out ropes, stretch them taught and pretend they are a bar. It gets pretty boring fast for most of them since there isn't any weight.

Thanks, Sara
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
Blair Lowe

I'm pretty sure I'll start introducing the jump shrug/2nd pull to some of the guys on Monday. Two of them have the basic DL down and I think I gave them the bug when I one arm snatched what they were deading.

They enjoyed the hell out of that which I'm glad I didn't launch or drop on my head.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Blair Lowe

An update. We're doing a bunch of strength testing as we just ended the season and today we did the DL. 2 guys were missing but they would probably have been at the tail end.

My strongest DL 78lbsx4@BW of 61. He was actually supposed to try again but opted not to because another boy, a 12yo who is in 6th or 7th pulled it 15x (it was our max weight which means I need more weights). At 15th, he started just rounding his shoulders a bit so I told him to stop. It was his first day ever DL and we did go over before on how to do it. He's pretty slender, under 5 foot but he has sort of surprised me with some strength tests of 8 pullups and 15 dips though he hasn't faired very well on the tests testing torso/core strength like L-sits or skin the cats.

DL were not bounced and included a reset each time. I was probably a bit anal about form but once rounding started, their turn was over.

Of course, the boys loved it when they hit the benchmark of BW or BW+. We haven't gone this high yet generally ending around 68lbsx3.

And of course, the girls looked on with high interest.

Guess, I better go get some weight and another bar before we start the new strength program. Looking to input DL 1x/week, SLS 1x/week, and lower body plyo 1x/week (they go MWF).

I've been thinking I need to video tape it so we could send it to 70'sBig as we polish off some milk during snack break.