Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Alex Bond

Article doesn't use the phrase "alter your hormonal milieu" and as a result, fails to attract my attention.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
I understand all of the rest of what you said but this.

Am I to understand that engaging in activities that are alleged to raise GH temporarily will have an effect...as long as you engage in these activites for months/years?

Again. first hand looking at what people have done, GH in particular, takes several months for any notable effect. This is at doses well above "replacement" therapy.

It doesn't make any sense at all. There has to be something else at work...Here's a softball....maybe it's appetite and diet. Not saying that HIIT is a waste of time for conditoning and body comp...but it ain't the hormones at work.
No, I meant the cumulative effects of using PEDs vs. not using them.

Like most things the efficacy of training methods or PEDs or whatever you're going to compare is best seen over a larger stretch of time than days or weeks.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
Article doesn't use the phrase "alter your hormonal milieu" and as a result, fails to attract my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Not saying that HIIT is a waste of time for conditoning and body comp...but it ain't the hormones at work.
You're a liar. When I stopped doing CF-type metcons, I had to take HCG just to get right.

Fran>DBol.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 05-14-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Dave Van Skike

ya caught me......

the couch ain't drunk...he's just bloated...too much Grace and you got aromatization problems.

Tommorow's WOD as RX'd

~one arm cattleball thrusters. 20 min each arm
~500 pushups, two or three at a time to save time.
~chinese split L-sit to failure
~.5 mg of arimidex..
Old 05-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Donald Lee

With regards to some of what Dave has been saying, I know Lyle uses intervals in two of his stubborn fat protocols to mobilize stubborn fat. He follows the intervals with low intensity steady state cardio though to burn the mobilized fat. I reckon this means that the elevated GH, adrenaline, noradenaline, etc. is largely temporary.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
Anoop Balachandran

Quote:
One research study with 12-untrained subjects is never enough evidence to "drop the curtain" on any theory.
There are multiple lines to evidence which questioned the validity of the hormone hypothesis. In fact, this was the 3rd study from Phillips lab, apart from other studies from other labs, which questioned the validity of the hypothesis and came out against it.

here is something related: http://www.exercisebiology.com/index..._mass_strengt/

It is a within subject design which eliminates a lot of variables. So the control group was the subject themselves. And Phillips is one of the prominent researchers and I do think they are smart enough to do a power analysis to find the right sample size before the study.

Quote:
Never take exercise advice from someone who questions the effectiveness of deadlifts and squats.
Can you show me where I question the effectiveness of squats and deadlifts. Please re-read the conclusion again.
Anoop Balachandran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
Anoop Balachandran

Thanks Donald for the comments. I usually try to keep it short and to the point and expect to write comments if people have more questions.
Anoop Balachandran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
Justin Arnold

dang....
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote