Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
James Evans

Peter,

I shall digest that as I run home from work tonight.

The plan I suggest is purely theoretical by the way and stripped down to the most uncomplicated level. I would expect a linear approach like that to stagnate pretty quickly. The aim was to have a comparison against your proposed scheme.

One of the main reasons behind my question is to get people to suggest ideas that they actually know work because either they have done them or they have seen someone else do them. I could read a book and tell you how to deadlift 1000lbs, easy.

So your answer works for me.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
Dave Van Skike

The only thing that got my pull-ups up, (no kippage) was the classic grease the groove. sets of 3 to 5 then 5-to 8 throughout the day everyday. Got to 18 in about two months. no sweat. Quit doing them daily and now a year later, I'm good for maybe sets of 5 at a shot.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #13
-Ross Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post

11. 11 reps x 8 sets ; deloaded with a small band attached to the bar
12. 11 reps x 11 sets ; deloaded with a small band attached to the bar
13. 10 reps x 5 sets
14. 10 reps x 10 sets
15. 9 reps x 9 sets; loaded with 5--7.5kg
16. 8 reps x 8 sets; loaded with 10--15kg
17. 7 reps x 7 sets; loaded with 15--22.5kg
Peter,

JMO, but the leap from session 12 to session 13 and the weighted progression looks pretty tough. I can already do 15-20 chins whenever I want to, but 10x10 would be a tough workout for me, and I'm not sure I could pull off 7x7 with a 45-pound plate.

Of course, I'm really detrained with regard to chins right now, so maybe it's just that my volume tolerance for the exercise sucks.

------------

I'm obviously no Ben Gimball (best strict chins: 22@175, best kipping: 28@175-185), but one thing that seems to work for me when I can make myself spend the time on it is holding the top position for time. The way I did this was to hold bodyweight for time until I hit a minute, and then add weight and work on 30-second holds. I got up to ~45 seconds w/ a 45-pound plate, and that took me from 20 to 22 chins without a whole lot of volume in the actual exercise. I also did some one-arm holds, but this is dicey unless you're very light.

You might plug this in to an overall schedule as a way of training one aspect of the chin while resting the groove of the whole movement; the hold at the top carries over farther than isos usually do, down to about biceps parallel to the ground.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
-Ross Hunt

But if you email me privately I'll give you the REAL scoop...
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:13 AM   #15
James Evans

Default Bxx Gxxxxx is a liar

Hi Guys!Bxx Gxxxx has agreed to help me with increasing my max number of pull ups in a single set.I did this as he asked me to do so before he would send me his "special high secret program".
Well this was a week ago and I have not seen anything yet and I doubt it I ever will.
Just wanted to tell you I think he is a liar and has no special or whatever he wants to call it program.
I think this site is great.
Keep up the good work guys

etc.

Ross, that made me laugh. I've always wondered but does the message board automatically change Ben Gimball to Bxx Gxxxxx or does Lynne have to do it?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:13 AM   #16
James Evans

Dave,

How did GTG fit into your daily schedule?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #17
Pavel Saenz

Peter, one more question, do you think the program with the same reps and sets would apply for going from 20 to 30? or would there have to be adjustments?
Good thread by the way guys!
Pavel Saenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
Rick Deckart
Banned

Ross, look at the total volume Shaf would have managed after session 12: That's 1204 chinups in twelve sessions and if we roughly estimate the average load of the reps (guesswork) at 100kg that is over 120 tons. In twelve sessions. That is probably more pullup volume than Shaf did in the last year(s). Compare that to a GVT approach, reps and volume. I know of no other rep/set scheme which allows to accumulate comparable numbers so easily because every set is easy and no rep close to failure if you choose appropriate loadings.

So I would say he would probably do just fine in session 13 and 14 but if its to steep, use a miniband during these sessions. The loading in session 15,16 and 17 is just guesswork. I would probably have him test his 3 rep max (three chinups with 5kgk, rest 3 minutes, three chinups with 10kg etc) and use that for session 16 and adjust session 15 and 17 accordingly.

I would agree with you observation about lock offs but I think the critical point in the chinup is the transition around 90 degree. If you ask somebody who has only a 10 rep max to do chinups from the top to 90 degree, up and down he will usually knock off a lot more chins... I would set up the bands in such a way that they would offer only little support on the top.

Pavel I don't know but would guess that there are better templates available if you can already do 20 reps...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
Dave Van Skike

I have a chin up board over the door to my kitchen. I would usually 2 to 3 sets of easy reps in the AM, 2-3 sets at teh gym around noon. In teh evening around dinner and after maybe 4-5 sets total.

Method a climbing friend suggestede was to pick a set number of reps soemthing more than 50 and just make sure you get all 50 in by the end of teh day. This sometimes meant doing 8 or more sets before bed. Each week you add 10 to the daily total.

week 1 50 per day
week 2 60 per day
week 3 70.......
Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #20
James Evans

I've heard that method mooted before.

I'd end up squeezing 47 reps in between 9.30pm and 11pm every night which would defeat the object somewhat.

On a side note to this there was a documentary over here about 15+ year ago on some kids joining the Royal Marines. I think part of the entry test for Officer candidates is 12 straight pull ups.

This one lad had worked very, very hard on his ...... chin ups.

So he can do 12 chin ups consecutively, perfectly, off a bar but he can't do 12 pull ups consecutively off a beam which was the requirement of the test.

He failed and was told that in future he should read instructions.

Harsh but totally fair.

I'm pretty good at chins, pretty poor at pull ups