Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Chris Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bethencourt View Post
Any thoughts on whether I should adjust my training? I can't seem to make much progress while adjusting, but I'm guessing the Starting Strength 5lb-deal should be left more or less unchanged? Maybe 3x3?
It took me 3 weeks of feeling like a slug before my strength came back when I started Paleo. Anytime I go low-no carb my explosiveness still suffers severely.

While you are adapting you might want to train with an MTR for the session.
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bethencourt View Post
Before you label me retarded for avoiding insulin, I hope everyone saw that I'm doing an Anabolic Diet - style cycle...not avoiding insulin, just trying to make the best use of it while understanding that excess carbohydrate can really screw with your health...though I fully understood that asking a Mass Gain section of the forum about help with ketosis may not make me many friends...(thus a thank you to Dave for saying "don't sweat the mass gain thing" in a forum labeled Mass Gain)

Any thoughts on whether I should adjust my training? I can't seem to make much progress while adjusting, but I'm guessing the Starting Strength 5lb-deal should be left more or less unchanged? Maybe 3x3?
Don't be too sensitive. I didn't call you retarded. I just said that the notion that, thankfully seems to be dying out, insulin is all-evil is retarded.

Excess carbs really screw with your health when coupled with a host of other factors. I'm guessing this isn't what you started this thread about though.

Adjust your training as needed. I'm not a huge fan of the Anabolic Diet any longer, but do think that 2/1, or 3/1 CKD approaches are kinda cool.

I think you're on the right track in manipulating volume towards something like 3x3. Look into things like Body Opus, the updated UD 2.0 etc. for more information on training recommendations and the like.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

It took me three weeks to become fat-adapted on an IF plan. It didn't gradually get better, either. I just sucked for three weeks straight and then the sky cleared.

If this is what you want to do, fine. As others said, you won't gain a lot of lean mass, which is fine. But, if you want to be a bit larger in the long run (and eventually stronger), it wouldn't hurt to do a bit of binging this summer and see if you can't sneak on another 5-10 lbs. of lean mass before you cut back.

Starting college can be stressful. Don't let adherence to a diet be another source of stress.

Lastly, try to enjoy yourself. Don't sweat all this keto/SS/Pavel stuff. When I first pulled 400, I did it on Red Baron pizzas and frozen burritos without any clue what I was doing. Hard work is more important than the scientificals of some set/rep scheme. Stick with 3x5 if that's what you like. Stick wtih Pavel if that's what you like.

BTW, milk isn't necessary. It's just really really convenient.