Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #21
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Don't know much about step-ups for strength, but I know some endurance athletes who rely on high-rep step-ups for endurance, especially in the mountains. Rob Shaul is a big advocate of them.

However, it's the most boring exercise I've ever done in my entire life, no joke. 20 minutes and I was going crazy. This is coming from a guy who has run, rowed, swam, and metcon'd for hours at a time.
As per Shaul's advice, I have been doing weighted step-ups in preparation for my Peru hiking trip (usually sets of 50 on 24" box with weight vest). And, yes, they are boring, so I have them as part of a circuit and listen to books on tape while working out.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
Chris Butler

I had no idea Rob Shaul was such an influence in the fitness community? I wish his gym wasn't completely out of my way.
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #23
Steve Shafley

Only with a certain segment.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #24
Shane Skowron

He's a cool dude. Uses common sense. And oh yeah, he actually works out with his athletes.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #25
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
As per Shaul's advice, I have been doing weighted step-ups in preparation for my Peru hiking trip (usually sets of 50 on 24" box with weight vest). And, yes, they are boring, so I have them as part of a circuit and listen to books on tape while working out.
Ditto that...the other day rounds of 400m run and 50 stepupsw/45# pack ....the stepups weren't even hard it was just mind numbing and I did keep messing up my count when I was switching between left and right.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #26
James Evans

10 Step Ups
Manmakers with sensible dbs
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

So, that's 100 step ups followed by 10 manmakers then 90 step ups followed by 9 manmakers etc.

All done wearing a 20kg vest or pack.

I did this recently in prep for a little expedition here in the UK and it sucked more than I remembered. Utterly mindnumbing. Cheers Rob Shaul.

I had planned to do a lot of step ups and leg blasters over the last 12 months as per the Mountain Athlete approach and instead I just did the stuff I enjoyed, back squats, dls, box jumps, a bit of skipping and a lot of walking. I've done the odd high rep bodyweight squat session as a finisher and I've run only 6 times this year (one of which was 9 reps of hill sprints).

The weekend before last I climbed the 3 highest mountains in the UK in under 24 hours and I didn't feel let down by my training whatsoever. On a global stage Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon are hardly monstrous but they're not easy in the same day.

Take home? Strength + a bit of circuit type work + sport specific (long walks with a back, often into the early morning) hits the spot. Overthinking and seeking the silver bullet doesn't.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #27
James Evans

PS I like Rob and miss being able to read both MA and Military Athlete. But I've discussed and agreed with Shaf in the past on some of the 'silly shit'.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #28
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
a bit of skipping
As in rope or through a field, with a flower in your hair? How long were your walks?

I have avoided the leg blasters. The step-ups are nice as I have a strength imbalance between my legs, so that is working its way out.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #29
James Evans

Through a field with a tambourine in my hand.

I should have remembered you guys jump rope. Over here boxers and 8 year old girls skip!

Last one we did was 22 miles. I did a quite a few 10 milers on my own.