Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Michael Houghton

Default Olympic weightlifting

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had some kind of ideas about a schedule for olympic weightlifting. I tried it last summer, and it was just too much volume I think to start with. I followed the Catalyst Athletics wods for about 2 months. I would like to add clean and Jerk and Snatch into my workouts for the week, but am unsure of what kind of volume I should stick to at first. I don't know if this makes sense or not. I'm doing (don't shoot me) CrossFit monday, tuesday, wednesday, friday, and saturdays, along with Wendler's 5 3 1 programming for squat, press, and deadlift. I am willing to drop something in there, but I'd like to get a blend of olympic weightlifting and crossfit. I like working with the strength stuff, and would like to get it through Olympic lifting instead of basic weightlifting stuff. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should look into?

Mike
Michael Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

You should not drop anything else in until you realize that you will have to take something out. Wendler himself, IIRC, says no to CF and 5/3/1.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Michael Houghton

Oops, I wrote incorrectly. I meant that I would drop something out of that group of things. Bad wording on my part. I'm definitely up for dropping the 5 3 1 or some of the CrossFit, either one.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Kevin Perry

I say keep 531 and drop CF.

You can always do hill sprints or tempo work 2-3 times a week for conditioning which is appropriate for that kind of training.

You can do the power variants of the lifts on lower body days following the 531 template if you want but personally I can't go for max reps on oly lifts.

My 2 cents.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Michael Houghton

I don't plan on using 5 3 1 for the olympic lifts, I think that would be a bad idea. I was thinking along the lines of dropping the shoulder press and/or deadlift out of it, and adding in Clean and Jerk, and Snatch. I just am not sure what kind of rep scheme to do. I know I should do low rep sets, but what kind of percentages should I be doing? Also, is it going to do me any good at all to just do those lifts once a week? I'm thinking of just progressing slowly with percentages of my "max" on each, and adding 5% at the very most to the sets each week.