Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Joe Hart

That is way cool. Glad I bought the book way back. Filled full of notes already.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
Derek Simonds

I went ahead and ordered the book.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I went ahead and ordered the book.
IIRC, reading Joel's stuff regarding conditioning a couple years back is what started turning me off from CrossFit methods.

BTW. This is unrelated, but does anyone know if it's true that Brian MacKenzie of CrossFit Endurance hasn't been finishing his races?

Shaf wrote this over on Lyle's forum:

Quote:
Brian MacKenzie, of Crossfit Endurance, has failed to finish almost every race he's started SINCE training that way, including a recent 40 mile solo run in Death Valley that he was filming for a project and last year a 100 miler.

Why? Because to run that far requires actually RUNNING THAT FAR. It doesn't require intervals, muscle-ups, hill sprints, prowler pushes, or kipping pull ups. It requires RUNNING THAT FAR.

So, for Crossfit Endurance, the DNF = the new standard of winning.
I do recall a while back that it was hyped up that he would be running the 100 miler (whatever it was called) and competing in the CrossFit Games within a couple weeks. I remember that he wasn't able to finish either, but I didn't know it was a recurring thing.

A couple years ago, I tried an interval method advocated by Brian MacKenzie to get back into running shape, and I was sorely disappointed when it had almost zero transferrence to a timed 3-miler.

After reading Joel's stuff, I started doing cardiac output work and HICT with weighted stepups, and that was all it took to get my 3-mile time where I needed. My exposure to endurance training until that time was running 4-6 milers as fast as possible through the military (I guess this would be called threshold training) and intervals/CrossFit. It's surprising how I was able to get such good results without ever running hard.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #14
Allen Yeh

Hict?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #15
James Evans

Quote:
Every result comes at a price: if you just go through the motions you are rewarded with a shallow or empty prize, if you do mindful, hard work the result will be genuine, and satisfying. Pay the entry fee. Take the ride. If you train 1000 hours per year you might have a shot at the world champion. If you give training 200 hours of casual attendance you canít expect the same. In 2004 we hoped the shortcuts being marketed by a particular fitness company would produce the meaningful results they claimed. Our own testing and experiments proved those shortcuts didnít lead where we wanted to go and it changed the nature of our project forever.
Mark Twight @ http://cjs-fitness.blogspot.com/2010...gym-jones.html

Nice dig.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Yael Grauer

That's some funny shit.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Hict?
High Intensity Continuous Training

Quote:
If you want to burn fat like none other then get on a versaclimber, crank the resistance up as high as possible and go for 2 sets of 20 minutes keeping your heart rate in the 160s. Nothing will stimulate fat loss more than that because the high resistance will mean you're using a ton of fast twitch and slow twitch fibers and it's upper and lower body. Believe me it's brutally hard but it works. It will also improve your aerobic conditioning very effectively too.

If you don't have access to a versaclimber you can use a spin bike with the resistance cranked way up so you're only able to manage 20-30rpm and accomplish the same thing but without the upper body's involvement. It's not as effective as the versaclimber but it still works. I'm going to order a Jacobs Ladder soon and experiment with that, I think it could be harder and more effective than the versaclimber possibly but we'll see.

Yes they are brutal but very effective. Keep your heart rate under your anaerobic threshold, which will be about 5-10bpm lower than it is when running. Essentially what you're accomplishing is the same thing as an interval but for much longer periods of time. One of the principle reasons intervals are effective is that the shorter higher intensity work recruits the fast twitch fibers but since it's high velocity they also fatigue quickly and you have to rest. The method I'm describing is such low frequency, i.e. low velocity, that you can do it for a long time and the fast twitch fibers are recruited because of the high resistance. It's a very effective method but yes it is not fun either. I'll call it HICT for high intensity continuous training or something like that, ha. Now if only I could get Tabata's marketing agent.

HICT is not targeting the heart so much as the muscles oxidative abilities themselves, specifially the fast twitch oxidative-glycolytic fibers to be exact. It's different than cardiac output work. Remember there is two sides to energy production, supply from the cardiovascular system and demand from the neuromuscular system. You need to develop both sides of the equation together in the right order and with the right methods to really improve your conditioning.
I never got up to 2 sets of 20 min. I think I've done up to about 2 sets of 12 min. I still got great results. I did step-ups because I didn't have the VersaClimber or Jacob's Ladder. It sort of felt like rucking slightly uphill.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 AM   #18
James Evans

Could this be done on an airdyne or an erg or would the upper body resistant not be enough? I think I've seen Joel asked this before but can't remember what he said.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #19
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Could this be done on an airdyne or an erg or would the upper body resistant not be enough? I think I've seen Joel asked this before but can't remember what he said.
I don't remember what was said about an airdyne, but I know an erg doesn't provide enough continuous resistance. HICT is supposed to be sort of like a slow grind. Real rowing could be used, but ergs don't provide continuous resistance. I tried doing HICT complex style, too, but it never really worked out too great. Grip would give out on RDL's, even with straps. Shoulders and arms would give out on thrusters. If you don't have one of the machines Joel recommends for HICT, I think the Tempo Method is better for the upper body.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #20
James Evans

How does real rowing provide continuous resistance when an erg does not? Or have you just exposed a blatant flaw in my coaching practice?

I see Gym Jones have been experimenting with the ski erg but this just works the upper body, no? Anyone ever try one of those Nordic Ski machines that were popular 15 years ago? I remember them being quite challenging.