Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #21
Donald Lee

I don't have much experience with rowing, so you can ignore what I said if it contradicts what you know.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #22
Derek Simonds

Really wish I had pulled the trigger on the versa climber I saw on craigsList last year. I am really interested to read and try to understand why a rower doesn't work. I think based on what Donald posted I get it but... rowing sucks over 20 minutes if done at the right intensity. I can see that you pull hard then no tension then pull hard again but my heart rate is definitely not falling during that period of moving forward.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I can see that you pull hard then no tension then pull hard again but my heart rate is definitely not falling during that period of moving forward.
HICT isn't designed for cardiac adaptations. It could create positive cardiac adaptations in people new to endurance training though, and it could help maintain some cardiac adaptations for a while.

HICT is designed to make those middle range threshold fibers more oxidative-slow twitch and fast twitch, but not the highest threshold fibers. HRI (High Resistance Intervals) make your highest threshold fibers more oxidative. I did HRI only once prior to OCS, because I didn't have a sled or prowler or hills to run, and every hill totally trashed my legs.

Your heart rate is only an indicator of intensity level. It doesn't determine intensity, as just getting excited or looking at NASCAR drivers will show you. HICT is supposed to be done at about 10 BPM below your lactate threshold.

So, in other words, there's the supply side (heart) and the utilization side (muscles). HICT is primarily for the utilization side.

Also, when you guys play around with this stuff, you'll notice the different effects of speed vs. resistance level on your heart rate. Speed tends to elevate your heart rate more. In CrossFit terms, Fran will probably elevate your heart rate much more than Heavy Fran. It's easy to see this stuff on a bike, since you can change resistance levels rather easily.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #24
Derek Simonds

The book came on Saturday and I am about half way through. There is a whole a whole lotta information in there. It is eerily similar to how I used to train for triathlons. Obviously he has some different methodologies but there is definitely some carryover.

It isn't light reading by the way...

Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
Grissim Connery

what are the similarities?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #26
Yael Grauer

Hardest part for me is to figure out which phase to do when... to figure out how to adapt it for BJJ... that kind of stuff.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #27
Anton Emery

I have just been following the program as its laid out, in the indicated order. I am just doing BJJ as well, no MMA.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #28
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
what are the similarities?
I am only through the aerobic phase about page 85'ish I was tired when I put it down but somewhere around there.

The two things that popped out immediately was the targeted heart rate training and the tempo training. I will dig up an old spreadsheet from triathlon training just to confirm. Each week I would have a focus sport. That sport would get three workouts that week. I would do one longer slower targeted heart rate day, one tempo day and one brick where I would work just under race pace (usually 5 to 10 BPM less) in conjunction with my other sports (a brick would be a swim then bike or bike then run workout). This was my off season style training and as I approached the season I started doing a lot more intervals and more work at a higher HR.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #29
Grissim Connery

i guess i'm gonna have to get the book

i've always been a jump rope fan. is he not in favor of them?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
i guess i'm gonna have to get the book

i've always been a jump rope fan. is he not in favor of them?
For the cardiac output work, basically LSD, you can use any modality or mix it up if you're getting bored. It's only targeting heart rate, so as long as you're in the target heart rate range, the exercise choice doesn't matter.

Jump roping works well for the active recovery that's prescribed in many of the workouts. Joel has you rest for like 5-10 min. between many of the circuits or series, as I think he calls them.