Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
Leon Robotham

Default BJJ Techniques

Does anybody know where to find a comprehensive list of BJJ techniques? logging BJJ training can be difficult without names of techniques as describing the moves often doesn't translate well when read back.

Thanks in advance.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Grissim Connery

that can be a hard request since so many names are not standard. my new instructor is an old school black belt, so most the time he has no idea the names i'm using for moves (he knows all the moves, just not the names i'm using).

funny example: i always call this move a genie armbar (from whatever position, not just this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikWewjLG_U
because one of the main ways to finish it involves putting your hands on your elbows and crunching down, just like you're doing the "i dream of genie" wish motion. it's not until a few years of calling it this that i find out nobody outside my club calls it that.

best bet to get the most common name is to find the move on youtube and see what most people call it in their vids.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Leon Robotham

That's what i'm finding Grissim. The second variation in that vid I would have called a farside armbar which is what the title was. I've managed to find a few judo techniques with the traditional Japanese names for Newaza techniques and many of them are used http://judoinfo.com/techdrw.htm, but i thought there might have been something out there for BJJ.

Here is the name for the genie armbar. Ude-hishighi-ude-gatame (upper cross arm armlock)
Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Leon Robotham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-x1x2ColM Just found this on youtube searching for newaza technniques. There's more in the video bar as well. Pretty cool!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Grissim Connery

it makes more sense in judo since all countries are supposed to use the japanese names for the throws. seems harder with BJJ since you have multiple language transitions followed by eddie bravo giving a name to every damn minute position you could possibly get into. add into that people using names from wrestling and sambo, and you've got so many language transitions that stuff is bound the get tricky. for example, scott sonnon has an entire dvd on mastering the saddle position, which is just a derivative of the 50/50 guard (i guess in sambo they call the 50/50 the side saddle or something).

the isolated club nomenclature is also considerable. my own experience with the "genie armbar" is a small example, but apparently this is what caused the whole switch from "brabo" choke to "darce" choke. i can't remember the story correctly, but basically nobody was brabo choking much for many years, and then a guy comes into a high level club and chokes everybody out with it. they start referring to the choke after that guy, and then the choke becomes big in tournaments, so everybody calls it the darce choke now.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Leon Robotham

When I think about it like that it makes more sense. BJJ has evolved so much to include techniques from other ground based martial arts that are useful and I guess a lot of it can be left up to interpretation. As you say there are also a lot of language transitions that are going to make things tricky too.

Mate, you've just made me realise that the darce and Brabo are the same thing!! The reason I thought they were different is because for the brabo I use their gi to control the arm first and I've only ever used the Darce no-gi when people try to get to their side from side control. I guess i've not tried it this way in the gi because of the friction, but thanks for that, you learn something or a few things new everyday
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Grissim Connery

yeah that's kinda what it's become now. people normally say brabo only when the lapel is involved. i refer to them this way too because:

#1 people will quickly know what you're talking about (and that's really the goal, just so people know what move you're talkin about regardless of what name it has)

#2 i think darce sounds cooler than brabo

the main time i'll say brabo nogi (or gi if there is no lapel used) is if i'm talkin to an oldschool blackbelt. one guy actually got annoyed when any of us said darce instead of brabo.

i know one guy who always refers to the northsouth guillotine as the "dragon sleeper." one day i asked why he called it that, and everybody thought i was weird. apparently i was the only person who didn't watch WWF and stuff religiously as a kid.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Leon Robotham

I'm suprised that people would get annoyed over the name of a technique, damn!

If i'd have heard "dragon sleeper" I would have been lost as well because i only know it as the north-south choke. I kept getting caught with that when rolling with one of my coaches, when I asked how to get out of that he said "don;t let me get to north-south!" haha.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Greg Davis

Good search engine:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=000607143783765176005:l2wxdo09z1i
Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
Leon Robotham

Thanks Greg. one of my coaches is from SBG so he's already puit me on to the cane provost and matt thornoton literature. The aliveness blog looks pretty good, but you can't really get any worse than submissions 101, it's horrendously poor.