Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Lars Kvanum

Default Some basic questions about IF

Hi,

I've been IFing for three weeks now and have seen decent results so far. But...in order not to step into too many traps, I would like to ask a few questions.

But first; a little about myself.
Height 170cm
Weight 100kg (match weight about 90kg, but could have gone down while inactive)
My body is always changing. If I'm not gaining muscle, I'm gaining fat. The only deviation from this rule is if I'm dieting. I've had very little success with normal diets, but lost quite a bit on CKD when Lyle was still doing his research.
Also, I guess my metabolism is pretty shot, and from what I read this is probably because of Iodine. I've never been crazy low on calories, which is one of the reasons I was happy on the CKD - 3500kcal on diet days

My biggest question right now is how I should treat my body's lack of lust for food. I'm never hungry, and can usually forget about eating for hours until I notice I'm light headed and dizzy. And this is when not on IF! So, on IF this is even "worse", but I can usually feel my belly being empty around 5 pm, which is when my eating window opens and I try to eat as much as possible until it closes at 10-11pm. The problem then is that I cannot eat the amounts I'm aiming for. Last night, for example, I made one of my favorite foods (lasagna) out of 2 pounds of ground meat (17% fat), rich in cheese and moderate in pasta. I managed to force down 1/3 of it which doesn't put me much over 1000kcals, and certainly not above 1500 (think how much I can stuff into my mouth if I don't love the food). Because of this I allow myself to indulge in fluid calories and can get between 500 and 800kcals from these. So, the thing is that even though I know liquid carbs are one of the worst things I can fill my body with, but I feel like a sinner if I get under 1500kcals/day.

I do this mon through fri, and then I eat like the rest of the family during the weekend, except I try to stay away from ice cream and cake. I guess my off days are up to 3000kcals, which I do on purpose to cycle calories and not be catabolic *all* the time.

I don't get to do any training at the moment as I'm up for knee surgery (kind of eliminates any kind of cardio except walking my dog for 20 minutesx3), my shoulder's pretty bad, and one of the bones in my right forearm keeps popping out due to lots of minor injuries from 20+ years of martial arts. This means no pushing and no pulling exercises, neither for upper nor lower body.

I supplement with EFA, Selenium (400-600mcg/day) and about 1mg of Iodine/day (trying to find an SSKI now).

Anyone got any comments on this? Should I be worried about the calories? I have no problems with fatigue or lightheadedness. I'm losing a bit of muscle, which is to expect when not working out, but my bf% is going down.

Cheers!
Lars Kvanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

First question, what do you want to get out of this? Fat loss? Overall health?

Second question, why did you choose the eating window that have chosen? I see you have a 5 hour eating window so that you are fasting for 19 hours. Any particular reason? Or is it just the number you happened to pick?

If you are losing BF and feel fine, then I wouldn't worry too much about the calories unless you are dropping weight too quickly.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Nero Germano

Default just a guess...

Just an educated guess, because I'm doing it too, but the 5 hour window is a part of the Fast5 IF plan, a freely downloadable e-book.

I have been doing it for the past four months with success. Since I work the 3-11 shift, I have allocated 11pm to 4am as my eating window. All my meals and snacks are VLC (very low carb)--very starter Atkinsy.

At 66, I am maintaining my reasonable weight and feeling very good. So, FOR ME, it works perfectly and I'll probably eat this way for the rest of my life. YMMV.
Nero Germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Lars Kvanum

Sorry for not replying, but I didn't get any notification, so I didn't know I had any replies :S

The reason for the 5 hour window is that it fits well with my work schedule. It's about 5 hours from I get home from work until I go to bed, and then I won't have to drag any food to the office.

I've been doing RFL for a while now and have dropped ~11kg, mostly fat even though I've not been able to work out due to injuries. I've just restarted IF and it feels good to get some more fat in the diet, and even add some carbs.

August 18 is the date I've set to start working out again, and it will be interesting to see just how much brazilian ji jitsu my knees can take now, but the weight drop should make it a lot easier. On my training days I will probably have a larger eating window, mostly adding around 100g of carbs pre workout, and a carb+casein shake post.

My goal is to get down to 12-15% bf, and then work on my strength/size again.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Kvanum View Post
Sorry for not replying, but I didn't get any notification, so I didn't know I had any replies :S

The reason for the 5 hour window is that it fits well with my work schedule. It's about 5 hours from I get home from work until I go to bed, and then I won't have to drag any food to the office.

I've been doing RFL for a while now and have dropped ~11kg, mostly fat even though I've not been able to work out due to injuries. I've just restarted IF and it feels good to get some more fat in the diet, and even add some carbs.

August 18 is the date I've set to start working out again, and it will be interesting to see just how much brazilian ji jitsu my knees can take now, but the weight drop should make it a lot easier. On my training days I will probably have a larger eating window, mostly adding around 100g of carbs pre workout, and a carb+casein shake post.

My goal is to get down to 12-15% bf, and then work on my strength/size again.
Split the carbs up a bit. maybe 50 grams pre/50 post. shake post workout if that's what you're in to.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
Lars Kvanum

Thanks for the input! Guess I'll have to trial and err a bit for this. The reason is that the brazilian ji jitsu workouts are pretty hard, but I don't think I'll need much post wo except for protein. I might do some weights after the bjj, in which case I'll probably need more post wo carbs.

But...I'll find a good balance in a few sessions